'99 Ranger bucket seats centre arm-rest

The centre armrest (that swings up to reveal the caddy thing between the bucket seats) has finally died. How much work to repair? How big a part is it?

I'd like to keep the vehicle in as good a shape as possible.

H.

Reply to
Rowbotth

The latch broke on my '94. Been using duct tape but now I feel like Red Green. lol

Reply to
Clay

I was quoted $140.00 about 4 years ago. I got one out of an Explorer in the scrapyard for $10.00. The armrest includes the hinge. If you move the seats all the way forward, you will see 2 plastic plugs on the sides of the console. Remove the plugs and there are 4 bolts which will remove the whole assembly.

Reply to
gw

There are actually screws that hold the hinge part to the armrest. I removed the superstructure and took it to the dealer, and he tells me that I need to buy the entire assembly.

And it is a fair bit more than $140 now, BTW.

But I was surprised at how easy to remove the th> I was quoted $140.00 about 4 years ago. I got one out of an Explorer in the

Reply to
Rowbotth

I suggest the junkyard route, if you have one handy. I found there were a lot more bucket seat Explorers than there were Rangers. I was also able to find one in fabric.

Worst part about my ordeal - the Dealer broke mine in the first place when I took mine in for a GEM module replacement under warranty. I saw the tech get in the truck (he must have weighed 350lbs.) and use the armrest to haul himself in. 'CRACKKK'. They denied it and absolutely refused to fix it. "You must have brought it in that way."

Reply to
gw