dash lights revisited

Previously, my problem was removing the headlight and wiper knobs. I was able to get by that OK.

Now, my minor dash light not working problem has become a real problem.

One of the turn signal indicator lights will not blink - the left one works OK. Changing the bulb didn't work so I began disassembling the dash to check connections. In the past, sometimes neither turn indicator would not work. Usually after a while both lights would start working.

So now I have the dash apart and the gauge assembly removed (what a pain). The dash indicator lights are all connected with a piece of plastic with copper running to the various lights. I'm inclined to believe that the thin copper has either broken at some point, or has corroded and isn't making a complete circuit. However, preliminary ohmmeter checks look OK. The bright light indicator works, as does the 'Fasten Seat Belt'.

Switching bulb holders/bulbs doesn't work.

The pickup is about 26 years old and not driven very much (148K miles). I purchased it new. It will not pass inspection unless turn signal indicators work-doesn't have to pass emissions anymore although I believe it could. Fortunately, the truck isn't my main mode of transportation so I don't have an emergency.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I live in northern Texas.

Also, any advice on putting the dash back together?

Thanks.

Reply to
trailer

forgot to mention-

1982 F100 302 V8 PS, PB, AC

[...]

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:53:42 +0000, trailer rearranged some electrons to say:

So, the turn signals actually blink (park/tail lights) but the dash indicator doesn't?

Reply to
david

Well, it may be PITA time. Using a low wattage soldering iron, reheat each of the solder joints (to the point of melting the solder) on the ribbon connectors, let them cool, and see if that makes any difference.

Good luck (and have fun!), SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom