Ranger "door ajar"

2001 Ranger XLT 4X4 four door extended-cab. Door ajar light and dome light come on intermittently. I drive this vehicle about 130 miles a day and this usually happens toward the end of the day. I assume there is a way to adjust the switch? Any help appreciated. TG
Reply to
TG

Go to Google, do a search for "door ajar" in Groups and limit it to this newsgroup. Or try this...

You will find a wealth of information about this problem. I am surprised that it still happens in a 2001. Try spraying some type of degreaser in your door latch and take it to your dealer if it is still under warranty.

Robin

Reply to
Robin Henderson

In my 2000, the door ajar light used to come on occasionally, only if I was in a longish left-hand curve (not a left-hand TURN, but only if there were a few sustained seconds of G-loading to the right....) I sprayed a lot of contact cleaner into all four latches (the fronts and the rear suicide doors). It's been a week with no recurrence. Of course, now that I've posted this, the problem'll probably reappear tonight....

bw

Reply to
bdubya

Thanks! TG

Reply to
TG

Try spraying some WD 40 into your door latch area. I had the same prob and Ford fixed it this way

Reply to
Thor Bielert

Followup: the problem didn't exactly come back last night, but it might as well have. "Door Ajar" came on in a slow RIGHT-hander. Will try more contact cleaner, and post again if problem recurs.

bw

Reply to
bdubya

The contact cleaner is a short term repair. To resolve the problem you will need to replace the switch.

Robin

Reply to
Robin Henderson

There is a sealed solid-state prox switch that senses part of the door latch mechinism being near. You can spray it forever and not get a permenant repair. If you disconnect the switch you'll lose dome light service on the door that has the switch unhooked, but this is better than taking the bulb out. You can still turn on the dome light using the dash light dimmer.

You can't adjust it. You can only replace it. This is a standard Ranger problem.

Reply to
Bill M