ABS Light on...off...on...off

It would appear that you have a problem with your braking system. WTF do you think the little idiot light was designed to tell you? If you don't mind endangering your family, yourself and others, you can simply ignore the problem. Please make certain that you have a prepaid burial plan.

Reply to
Tyrone

My Ranger acted like that when it was a little low on fluid with an oversensitive gauge. From the outside it looked full with fluid almost up to the line. Topped up the fluid a bit so the float raised and the problem stopped.

Reply to
Roy Brown

Captain Fatalist strikes....

Chances are there's a bad wheel speed sensor. Amazingly, we used to drive vehicles without ABS and they'd stop just fine. It's not something you just want to ignore, but it's *HIGHLY* doubtful the brakes are going to up and quit on you.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

FWIW, I've owned a 1991 Ford Ranger for the last 3 years that I bought used. When I got it from the original owner, he said the ABS light came on about 3 years after he bought it brand new. He took it in to have it checked out and they told him it was the Rear ABS module (this truck only has Rear ABS brakes) and that the part was $250 to replace. He decided not to fix it, because the brakes would still function normally, just without ABS kicking in.

Anyway, 3 years later after I bought it and the light is still on. I have gotten used to seeing it now, my brakes have never failed yet. Driving the truck with the Rear ABS light on does not mean my brakes are about to fail, it just means the ABS system is disabled and it will brake normally.

Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:21:00 GMT, "Sharky" snipped-for-privacy@nospam.eastlink.ca> wrotI:agent

$250? Funny how it's always the most expensive parts that need replacing when you take your vehicle in for servicing. My ABS light ('93 ranger) was on for awhile and I checked the code and it led me to the connector (3 wire flat rectangular plug) at the master cylinder that had corroded and failed. 1 dollar at the junk yard for another connector and all was OK. First 3 trucks I checked there had bad connectors also so I think it's a common problem. Ford uses the ABS system to monitor the circuit to the float in master cylinder so in my case it wasn't the ABS system but it was warning me of another problem.

Reply to
shinho750nospam

it is an antilock braking system error not an Armageddon light the brakes will work just fine like they have for a hundred years preceding active electronics tyrone, in england they would call you a wanker

Reply to
PCK

We will simply have to accept the fact that you are an expert wanker. OTOH, after the guy has gotten used to ABS, the odds are that he will still hit the pedal the same as if ABS were still operational. If he does, odds are pretty good he will end up in trouble. Your argument is about as valid as if it was the power brakes that were operating without power assist. Yeah, you can stop the car, if you remember to put your foot through the floor.

Reply to
Tyrone

You can't tell me you actually press the brake pedal differently when you're driving an ABS equipped vehicle than you do in a "normal" vehicle. That's effing ludicrous. Just how does one get "used to the ABS"? (Spare me the snow/ice/rain argument. You should slow the hell down in crappy conditions.)

Oh please. How many times has anyone in this group actually felt the ABS come on in an emergency stop?? How many emergency stops have those people had to execute? If you're having to hit the brakes hard all the time, you need to pull your head outta your ass and pay attention.

Only a complete idiot wouldn't press the pedal harder if the booster took a crap. (been there done that, got the car stopped just fine)

Lesse... if ONE wheel speed sensor is out does that mean the entire ABS system is not functioning? Hell no... Will one bad sensor turn on the ABS light? Hell yes. Will the OP die a horrible death because he drives with the ABS light on? Maybe if he gets t-boned by a fully loaded fuel truck but I'd be willing to bet there won't be an incident of any kind if it's not repaired immediately.

I guess we'll have to accept the fact that at best you've only got negative things to say as evidenced by this and other threads.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Yeah well, being you are so damned smart, why don't you allow the manufacturers to benefit from your wisdom. Explain to them that the vehicles they are manufacturing will function just as efficiently with and without the ABS system functioning. Based upon your failed logic, they can add a bundle to their bottom line by eliminating the system completely. This will also help all consumers when they purchase a new vehicle, as the savings can be passed on to them. Just think, if only $10 was saved on each vehicle, how much this would add up to.

I'm certain those highly paid executives will be more than anxious to implement your suggestion as they will be able to put a sizeable chunk of the savings directly into their own pockets. Who knows, they might reward you with as much money as they pay in royalties for the use of the technology. Maybe, if you apply your insight a little more energetically, I have no doubt you can come up with several other systems that function as well when working as when not. I see a great career ahead of you. We will then, all be able to look back and say we once knew you when, you had absolutely no idea what you were talking about.

Reply to
Tyrone

~additional drivel deleted~

The reality is, the friction brake system is not dependent on the ABS system, to work efficiently. If the ABS shuts down, the friction brakes will continue to work normally and efficiently, as designed. In rare cases, ABS *might* help you stop more quickly, but in my experience, it is more a hindrance than a help. If I could buy my vehicles in the trim level I want, without ABS, I surely would. H

Reply to
Hairy

Do you even have the SLIGHTEST clue why ABS exists?? It's to keep wheels from stopping during hard braking (i.e skidding.) That's IT! It doesn't serve any other purpose. It's a frigging safety device and merely modulates the brake pad/shoe pressure when it senses a wheel about to stop - PERIOD! Locking up the wheels will NOT slow you down faster and WILL increase stopping distance, ABS works to prevent a skid to decrease stopping distance.

Gee, maybe with all their saving they can all pitch in together and buy you a friggin' clue.. What a fucktard.....

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I don't need a sermon from a retard such as yourself about what functionality ABS adds to the braking system. You obvious understand the basic principle but hardly appreciate it. Like I said Kevin, if you're so damned smart, you should go to Detroit. I see a great future for you there. Talk about a friggin' moron.

Reply to
Tyrone

Are you seriously trying to argue that an ABS braking system with a fault light on will function differently than non-ABS brakes? Or will somehow be unsafe compared to a non-ABS system?

If you lock your wheels every time you slow down, I suppose this could be a problem for you. In driving ABS equipped vehicles for the last 5 or 6 years, I think I have activated the system twice.

ABS is widely used because people _think_ it's safer, and those who cannot modulate their braking in low traction conditions can brake and steer at the same time. The only time it's effective is during wheel lock-up.

God, I hope my Traction Control light doesn't come on!

Reply to
gw

understand

I didn't say that, so don't try to put words in my mouth. They will operate identical to non-ABS systems.

I guess you have never seen the little old ladies who stomp on the brake and cover their eyes and pray. They need all the help they can get. ABS will help to avoid a skid that would ordinarily make the situation worse. If the system is so useless, why do you think the auto producers are paying all those royalties to be allowed to include it in their production?

So, you are implying that the manufacturers have been doing nothing more than selling a placebo to the motoring public. I guess maybe someone is holding a gun to their heads and forcing them to sell a worthless product, that you and others believe is nothing more than snake oil. The fact is, the braking systems were good before. They are better now. I'm not saying to pull off the road if thie system is not fully functional. What I am saying is to get it fixed as soon as practical. The advice given here was basically, "DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT." If the better system will allow someone under certain circumstances to avoid an accident by stopping in a foot less distance, why would you be willing to continue to drive on a compromised system?

Reply to
Tyrone

That shows what you know. If you want to get into auto engineering, Detoit's the last place you wanna go. All the engineering jobs are moving overseas.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

It's likely the front hubs. They are sealed and when the seals wear the grease gets on the ABS stator. Got one in the shop I need to do later this week. Take your front ABS sensors out and check if the stator is covered with grease.

Reply to
JimV

Thanks for the heads up. Kevin, did you copy that? Pack your bags for Pakistan.

understand

Reply to
Tyrone

So why the friggin' proclamation that the OP's brakes are going to catastrophically fail if he doesn't make the little light go out immediately??

I doubt there's a little old lady out there that could press the damned pedal hard enough to get the ABS to kick in on clean dry pavement. You continue to contradict your original statement and subsequent arguments. Pick a side of the fence and stay there.

Um, maybe in the interest of increased safety??? (What a novel fuggin' concept!!)

Who the hell said that??? If you had an attention span that lasted longer than a fart in a tornado you'd have seen NOBODY has claimed ABS was "snake oil".

Certainly not from my keyboard. Not something just ignore to be sure, but by the same token, it's not an "emergency" per se'

Again, how is the system compromised when you state (and I quote) "They will operate identical to non-ABS systems." The fact is, a non-ABS sytem will NOT operate identically to an ABS system. If it did, ABS would be - as you so eloquently put it - "snake oil"

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Will do. Enjoy your career flippin' burgers dimwit.

Reply to
invalid unparseable