Automatic Hub Replacement with Manual Hubs

I'm about to replace the auto hubs on my 1996 Ford ranger and am wondering what "wrench" I will ne to remove the old bearing retainer nut. The replacements that I got require a 4 prong wrench that I can get but I can't tell what I need to remove the old nut thahas to be replaced.

Anybody know??

Reply to
Tom

Not specifically for your Ranger, but it took me three trips to the NAPA parts store to find the correct one for my 91 F150.

David

Reply to
IdaSpode

The hub itself will come off in your hand after removing the wheel. Some had a couple of screws. To disassemble the hub:

There's a circlip, a plastic washer encircled by a spring, and a small metal woodruff key to be removed, (use a pick or a magnet) then the nut should turn off by hand. You don't need a special tool, bearing preload is light, you only take out the movement, and you can do it with channel locks or a large enough wrench.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

. . ===== ===== Automatic Hub Replacement with Manual Hubs Group: alt.trucks.ford Date: Sun, Feb 22, 2004, 11:59am (CST+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@spammotel.com (Tom)

I'm about to replace the auto hubs on my 1996 Ford ranger and am wondering what "wrench" I will ne to remove the old bearing retainer nut.

The replacements that I got require a 4 prong wrench that I can get but I can't tell what I need to remove the old nut thahas to be replaced.

Anybody know?? ======= =======

A hammer....and a screw driver.

hopefully helpfull

MarshMonster ~wonders if you need to know what to do to get it back on correctly~ ========= =========