Brakes, 2002 Excursion

With just under 50K on the odometer I've had to have the front rotors replaced 3 times, and the rears turned down. After 10K to 15K miles I get a real bad pulsation of the brakes. When stopping from 40mph or faster the steering wheel will move an inch or so as the brakes pulse.

Is it possible to damage the rotors when I have the tires rotated and a torque wrench isn't used to snug the lug nuts down? I've had it to the dealer each time the pulsation happen. This week a tech rep from Ford came down and examined the vehicle. The pads have never been changed, and are hardly worn.

The Ford tech rep theorized that since these are very HD brakes, I may be causing the problem by not stressing the braking system enough with a load. Ford is thinking that since I don't pull or carry a heavy load, the HD pads will leave some sort of imprint on the rotors just by pressing against it. They think that if I regularly braked a heavy load that the imprint, which in affect is leaving surface imperfection on the rotor by merely applying pressure to rotor while the truck is parked overnight in the garage, would not be there. It seems like a pretty far fetched theory.

Anybody experience this kind of problem with their Ford truck product?

Reply to
Greg Downer

Two things warp rotors, heat and improper torque.

Heat can be caused by a dragging caliper, riding the brakes, etc, but you ruled out the most common, towing.

The first thing I'd try is a different "softer" set of brake pads.

The theory they gave you doesn't make sense.

There should be no pressure against the rotor by the pads when the vehicle is parked.

If there is, then there is pressure there all the time, and that could be the problem.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I'd start by changing the pads; maybe something is wrong with them that is making them eat rotors.

Reply to
Chris Hill

I don't have any additional contribution for your problem. However, as a reference point, I have a '99 F350 CC 4x4 which is used primarily to pull a

14K lb 5 wheel. It still has the original brakes at 90,000 miles and non of the symptoms you identified. The brakes were recently check for wear and they are still good. I think your brakes might have a thicker rotor than my year.

Reply to
Mellowed

Sounds like you a two footed driver to me.

Steve Barker