7.3 PS

I just bought a 2000 Ford XLT with the 7.3 powerstroke in it............since you have had and have one..........anythings to watch for. I am new to diesel and I am coming from having a GMC for nearly 15 years.........it had the 350v8 in it. I lost the differential in the GMC due to pulling a work trailer with my tools in it. My Ford truck has just over 100k on it. Thanks for any and all responses.

Russ

Reply to
Kathy

Kathy,

I was brand new to diesels in mid-2004 when I bought a 2000 F-550 with the same engine as you. I am still just a tinkerer, but here are a couple of things I learned about the 7.3L diesel:

- Locate and check the air filter gauge occasionally. It's that clear cap near the filter that indicates if it is getting clogged. As it approaches the red mark, it's time to clean or replace the filter.

- It took me forever to find the fuel filter/water separator! The drawings in the engine manual were throwing me off and I kept looking under the engine. To find it, look just behind the engine near the top center. It has a yellow plastic handle near the base which opens and drains out water (and fuel). If you like replacing your own fuel filter, just unscrew the top. This proved to be extremely difficult without the filter removal tool-I ended up using the handles a pliers.

Well, those two things are amateurish, but it's good to know about them nonetheless.

Charlie

Charles Kerekes

Charles, Did your new purchase of the Ford have a lot of miles on it? Nice website by the way......... Oh yeah, thanks for the tips.

Russ

Reply to
Kathy

Kathy,

It had 62,000 miles, which I thought was pretty low for the age and type of vehicle.

Thanks.

Charlie

Charles Kerekes

the filter should be replaced when the indicator is half way..mine was filthy then..No way to wait til the RED mark

Reply to
Rudy

Good to know. Thanks, Rudy.

Charlie

Charles Kerekes

One other thing you should do for sure is use a test kit (or take it to the dealer) and have them test the amount of cooling system additive in your anti-freeze. It is a Ford Motorcraft product, and that's what it's called, Diesel Cooling System Additive. It comes in a 16 oz. plastic bottle and costs arount $7. As I understand it, it keeps your engine from cavitating. I had a friend who did not do this & ended up replacing the whole engine.

Reply to
STP

That additive is for the green anti freeze. A lot of the newer trucks have the gold colored stuff that doesnt need the additive

Reply to
Rudy

Kathy, Two items not hit...oil may turn black very quickly. Don't worry, the harder the truck is worked, the sooner the oil changes color. I use the Ford filter and Rotella T 15W40 and change it every

4500 miles.

Second item...if the engines idles VERY erratically upon start-up, don't turn the engine off, the computer will sort it out in a few seconds. This will happen more often as the weather cools and maybe 1 in 200 starts in warm weather.

I change the fuel filter every other oil change and keep a spare with me if I'm traveling. I add the coolant additive at the same time.

bradtx

Reply to
bradtx

I do not think the gold antifreeze was introduced until the 6.0L came out. I believe that all of the 7.3L PSD engines required supplemental coolant additive (SCA). I know my 1999 and 2001 did but the 2004 6,0L PSD does not.

Reply to
Robin Brumfield

While not a PSD, my '02 V10 Superduty has the gold stuff and specifically states its use in the owner's manual maintenance section.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Make sure its "gold" and not orange coolant

Reply to
johanb

Nope, the last upgrade 2002 "525" PSD came with the gold stuff. No additive required.

Reply to
Rudy