Clutch in my F250 PSD Superduty

Yesterday, at a stop light, my clutch pedal went almost to the floor. I stopped the engine put it in 1st and was able to have just enough clutch action to start the engine and get it into a parking lot. I pulled the pedal back up and it then locked into the up position. No amount of pressure would push it down. Today, the dealer told me the pressure plate had broken. My truck is a 2000 F250 4WD PSD. It has 42,000 miles on it. I've never towed anything with this truck. The only extra stress that I've put on the truck is slightly larger tires.

285-16R (only slightly larger than the original) I've owned several trucks and cars over the years. I even had a monster truck that had been built out of a toyota. Even the clutch on that truck with it's extra load lasted well over 100,000 miles. And the pressure plate never died. Even though this is beyond the warranty, it just seems like there must have been something wrong with this for it to have broken. Any comments or suggestions about this?

Thanks, Robert

Reply to
Dies Deambulo

Go here :

and go to the forums section to get tons of information on all the Ford diesels.

Reply to
bomar

Had a similar problem with a 2001 F150 78,000 miles. The dealer replaced the clutch and it still isn't right. Also have a 2000 F150 with the same problems. The dealer says there is nothing wrong. There is a problem with the transmissions Ford is using. This looks like the last Ford I'll buy.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Downing

Wow that really sucks. On my '75 at about the same mileage etc I had an inner plastic collar for the throw out bearing (as a guide/bearing) break away. It was a good idea just the wrong material, should have (and may have been in the past?) a steel tube with a sinthered brass bearing surface inside could have been a "ford better idea"?

Until recently that pickup's never really had a good feeling or acting clutch in it, even when brand spankin new.

I've gone through it completely each time, complete with a flywheel re-surfacing (even a re-balence once) with new Borg Warner clutch kits etc but until I got this new McLeod pressure plate and disk, with its pucks on one side, I didn't know what a really good clutch in a Ford was. :)

Steve, I'm not going to buy any more -new- fords either and haven't since november of '74. ;) For some odd reason one has been plenty.

Alvin in AZ (warner T-18 4 speed)

Reply to
alvinj

The clutch assemblies in the F150s and SuperDuties are completely different animals.

Reply to
bomar

Your recommendation of

was great help! I posed in one of their forums and a member pointed me to a thread that even contained photo's of failed clutch springs. Seems it's a not to uncommon event. I've contacted Ford with this information. We shall see what they have to say. I'll probably do one of the aftermarket clutches

thanks aga>The clutch assemblies in the F150s and SuperDuties are completely different >animals.

Reply to
Dies Deambulo

Glad to help you out....it's a great site, and you avoid all the "help" from Windstar and Ranger owners.... See you there!

Reply to
bomar