Clutch servo?

Hi All, My wife, all 5 foot 2 of her, want to drive my SIII but finds the clutch and brake a bit tough to handle. Now the brake I can fit a servo to, but is it possible to do the same with the clutch? Never heard of a clutch servo, but as it's basically the same principle can't see why it wouldn't be possible.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Skingley

brake a bit tough to handle.

see why it wouldn't be possible.

Clutch pedal shouldn't be that heavy to start with, I think fitting a servo will make it rediculously light on the clutch.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

brake a bit tough to handle.

see why it wouldn't be possible.

You could maybe use an inline servo, although I think the clutch would end up so light as to be uncontrollable. Otherwise you could use a slightly larger bore slave cylinder, or smaller bore master cylinder - it would mean that adjustment was critical as the travel is reduced but would make the pedal action lighter (I've done this on my race car as the clutch plate needed to handle 500+hp was too heavy for anyone except Superman). If the clutch plate is worn it will be heavier as well - a new clutch may help matters. Some brands are lighter than others - I've never fitted a Valeo pressure plate to a Landrover, but in other vehicles they generally give a significantly lighter clutch than either OE or other aftermarket clutches.

Reply to
EMB

But it is !!!

I do believe that it is possible to fit assistance and this is the sort of thing that can be done by companies adapting vehicles for disabled people.

Reply to
Larry

An in line servo can be fitted, fitting a heavier spring if it is too light. Some other four wheel drives have factory fitted servo master cylinders, but there would not be room for this on a S3.

It would probably be possible as well to fit a clutch pedal helper spring as on late model 90/110. JD

Reply to
JD

Thanks all. Lots to think about there. I'm doing a chassis-up rebuild on it at the moment, so now's the time to do any mods. Might try the larger slave/smaller master route for a start and see what the travel implications are.

Thanks again. Ron

Reply to
Ron Skingley

On or around Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:56:23 +0100, "Ron Skingley" enlightened us thusly:

brake a bit tough to handle.

see why it wouldn't be possible.

contemplate too whether it has more pedal-return springs than it really needs. You might find it has 2, and will still work with 1.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

brake a bit tough to handle.

see why it wouldn't be possible.