cold engine rattle

Hi all,

1997 F150 V6. I get a rattle, sounds like it is from the bottom, passenger side of the engine, only when the engine is cold. After about 15 min or so of driving it is gone. Someone told me it might be the "heat riser valve" (hope I got that right). Others have said it is the "idler pully" and that it is normal. Should any of these two things concern me? The rattle is driving my bonkers, but like I said it's only when the engine is cold. Any advice? Also, if it is the riser valve, what's the cost and is this something a shadetree mechanic can handle?
Reply to
Brian

jor

Thank you. But which one do you think would cause a "rattle" only when cold? My thinking is that if it was an idler pully wouldn't it be doing it all the time?

Brian

Reply to
Brian

"carburetor?" On a 97 F-150?

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Sure! It's right next to the heat riser. Bob

Reply to
Bob

I had a similar problem with my 95 Aerostar.Check the bolts from the manufold to your tailpipe.Mine were loose when warm noise went away.

Brian

Reply to
BRIAN GOODSON

Thanks Brian.

Reply to
Brian

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:01:04 -0700, jor rearranged some electrons to form:

No heat riser or carburetor on a 97..

Reply to
David M