engine swap

I'm thinking about swapping my original 5.8 (351) for a 5.4 Triton in my 1978 F-150. What are my chances?

Reply to
joe.e.morris

zero and nil

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Hey, nothings imposible is it? When we were kids we put a Buick V-6 in one Chevette, and a 350 small block in another Chevette.

Of course, it won't be easy though :)

IYM

Reply to
sunrisr

It could probably be done, with enough money and time. It is not just the engine, you will need a transmission that will work with the engine. The old C6 will not mate up. All computers and wiring harnesses. 5.4 and transmission are computer controlled. Custom driveline, etc, etc etc. Can be done, but.

Reply to
Marlin Singer

were either of those swaps computer controlled?

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 06:46:58 -0800, joe.e.morris rearranged some electrons to form:

It would be easier to buy a new truck.

Reply to
David M

I always say if you have to ask this question on Usenet, then you can't do it. It's pretty simple, though. There are 3 mounts that hold the engine/tranny in a car. The rest is just details. The details are obvious if you're not stupid, because ultimately they all have to match the late-model donor vehicle. For everthing that touches the drivetrain, the answer is always the same.

Reply to
Joe

When I was a kid some guys walked on the moon using 1960's technology.

Reply to
Joe

Yeah, and before that some guys died on a launch pad because some other guys were too stupid to know how to design a door that could be opened in an emergency. Don't get me going about our waste of money so called space program.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

As long as it's American hardware and tecnology, the money isn't "wasted", it's simpy being redistributed within the economy...

DJ

Reply to
IdaSpode

Not sure what any of this has to do with Ford trucks. However, with no disrespect to the posters, I can't resist :)

Stupid? No. Trying to do too much too fast. Apollo was a cold war stunt; it had very little to do with science or even space exploration.

I always try to ask myself what Franklin, Madison, et al. would think of something. JPL does great work, but it should be privately funded (and would probably end up with more money that way). Manned space flight is expensive, but I can see an argument for considering it part of defense. There is a fast-moving rock with our name on it - just a matter of time until we see it, and then alter its course or let it hit us. Most likely, any intervention would be done robotically, but it might take a space walk or two to assemble a vehicle from launchable pieces.

When government does the spending, "distributed" is a euphemism for "taken by force". Most people with money earned it. Some get windfalls (often they earned that too), and they either turn out to be Schwarzeneggers (learn how to handle it and make even more) or Bee Gees (blow it all as fast as they got it). A free economy does the right thing in either situation. Thomas Sowell's Basic Economics is a great read.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

Reply to