Uh-Oh ?

I just purchased a 1998 F-150. I've been driving it around...nothing special...for two days now. I was filling it up with some gas, and tried starting it...

It cranked over fine...the new battery had plenty of juice... But it wouldn't "catch". It just wouldn't start...I let it sit five minutes...tried it again and it fired right up...

Apparently the main computer on the truck was just replaced at the dealership too.

SHould I be concerned...? Maybe just old fuel ?? Maybe a fluke ?

Reply to
Yabahoobs

Do you recall smelling varnish at the gas station? You couldnt miss it if it was old gas.The fumes would be pushed out while you were pumping. Also i doubt its old gas, since you drove it for 2 days, and the icing on the cake is the ecm being replaced. Tells me it may have been happening for a while. Also your discription of "nothing special" doesn't not give the vital info needed, like what is powering the truck .. 5.0L? 5.8L? Mouse on a wheel?

Does it look like the idle air control valve was replaced recently?

Reply to
djdave

LoL...mouse on a wheel...

Well I meant old fuel in the car's tank, finally getting into the fuel injection.

IT's being powered by the 5.8 L V8. If it helps, I had been starting and stopping the truck alot before filling up (Xmas shopping...ugh)...maybe a hot engine ?

Im worried it has something to do with the ECM. (forgive my lack of skill / knowledge here), but If it's not a fuel delivery / quality problem it has to do with firing times, governed by distributor via ECM (?????????)

Reply to
Yabahoobs

Hard starting after re-fueling is symptomatic of a leaking purge solenoid. The purge solenoid would normally only be open during cruise conditions, purging the evaporative system of fuel vapors. When the purge solenoid sticks open while re-fueling, gasoline vapors flood the intake manifold creating a flooded engine condition. Your 5 minute sit was enough to let the vapors dissipate.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 20:29:58 -0800, Yabahoobs rearranged some electrons to form:

The 5.8L V8 was not available in 1998.

A 1998 F-150 would not have a distributor.

Reply to
David M