Excursion v10 fuel economy

Hello, I am closer to my decision of an excursion or crew cab pickup as my next vehicle. The excursion is the likely winner but that leaves the question of v10 or PSD. Can anyone with an excursion v10 advise me of the fuel mileage they usually get in normal driving and towing. I plan on towing @ 6500 pounds and am curious of the mileage with this load and then just driving to and from work. Also please indicate if you excursion is equipped with 3.73 or 4.30 gears.

Thanks for the help everyone. Joe

Reply to
ja

if it's any help. I recently bought a 2000 F-250SD 4x4 6 speed with the

7.3PSD. I average about 17mpg with a combination of highway and city driving through a tank and get about 12 mpg when towing a 5,000lb. travel trailer. I don't think the towing mileage would change much with a few thousand pound increase in trailer weight from what I have read on the
forums. Granted, mine is a 7.3 and there newer diesels are 6.0 but they are said to be more powerful and get even better mileage than mine. You might want to check out the forums on the site I mentioned to look into reliability of the newer 6.0 Powerstroke before making your decision. The v10's don't get very good mileage but are much cheaper as an option. I think the difference is $5000 dollars or so to get a diesel instead of a v10. $5,000 will buy a lot of gas to make up for the lesser mileage! I read somewhere that the break even point for dollars and cents between the two engines was somewhere around 100,000 miles. That is, the diesel will pay for itself in gas/maintenance costs when you reach that. Your towing weight is definitely within the capabilities of the v10, now you just have to decide of the increased economy and super pulling power of the diesel is worth the extra coin to you. Of course, the more you drive it, the faster you will make up your investment. I really like the 7.3PSD but I got a great deal on the truck and wound up paying about the same for it as I would have for a gas v10. I didn't really insist on the diesel, just got blessed with it :)

God Bless,

-BunnMan

Reply to
BunnMan

Know that when you get out of the truck, you will get more for the diesel than the gasser. To verify this, go to Kelley Blue Book and price a used diesel vs. a used V10. Keep this in mind when you hear "$5000 will buy a lot of gas" and "break even point is

100,000 miles," as these calculations do not take the higher resale value of the truck into account.

-- frosty

Reply to
frosty

Hey Joe!

My dad drives a Exursion. I called him today and he is getting about

12 driving to work and back. 8-10 when pulling his boat. Our nieghboor owns one also and claims that computer upgrades are avalible for around $600 dollars that can get you 15 to 18. I belive he has the 3's for his gears

-Hope this helps Ben

Reply to
Ben Witek

Has anyone seen computer upgrades that don't require premium gas? And most of them I've seen only give about a claimed 15 to 20 % inprovement. The extra horsepower might be nice, but I don't think they save any money on gas.

Reply to
Ken Finney

There is usually a price difference of less than $500 on same condition trucks in my area. I went from diesel to V-10 and will never go back to diesel. I like the way it performs much better on long treks cross country pulling my 35 foot trailer.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Unless you have gas prices like we do, $2.40 for reg. unleaded and $1.68 for diesel. Gotta love California for that, NOT! Rich

Reply to
Richard Cox

I use 87 in my Banks Power Pac. V10.

: > My dad drives a Exursion. I called him today and he is getting about : > 12 driving to work and back. 8-10 when pulling his boat. Our nieghboor : > owns one also and claims that computer upgrades are avalible for : > around $600 dollars that can get you 15 to 18. I belive he has the 3's : > for his gears : > -Hope this helps : > Ben : >

: : Has anyone seen computer upgrades that don't require premium gas? And most : of them I've seen only give about a claimed 15 to 20 % inprovement. The : extra horsepower might be nice, but I don't think they save any money on : gas. : : : : : :

Reply to
Mellowed

Reply to
Richard Cox

What can I say. Maybe the politicians will get a message with the Recall.

: > You must live in the Bay area. I just paid $1.95 in S. Cal. Of course, : > yesterday it was $1.87. : >

: >

: > : > >

: > : > > Know that when you get out of the truck, you will get more for : > : > > the diesel than the gasser. To verify this, go to Kelley Blue Book : > : > > and price a used diesel vs. a used V10. Keep this in mind when : > : > > you hear "$5000 will buy a lot of gas" and "break even point is : > : > > 100,000 miles," as these calculations do not take the higher resale : > : > > value of the truck into account. : > : >

: > : > There is usually a price difference of less than $500 on same : condition : > : trucks : > : > in my area. I went from diesel to V-10 and will never go back to : > diesel. : > : I : > : > like the way it performs much better on long treks cross country : pulling : > : my 35 : > : > foot trailer. : > : >

: > : > Tom J : > : >

: > : >

: > : : > : : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Mellowed

NOT a gimmick AT ALL! You need to understand ECM programming better my friend! :>)

It ALL depends on HOW the Chip was PROGRAMMED!!! You can have Chips Custom burned however you like!

Now, if you buy a "Cookie Cutter" Chip (such as SuperChip), then you get the One-Size-Fits-All program.

I suggest contacting Dennis Reinhart at

He and Jerry (former Ford Transmission Engineer) have EXTENSIVE experience Tuning Fords!

Best,

ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

My used truck came with the chip, which I did not know it had. Until my fuel pump died, to which the dealer could not get the truck to idle after replacement. He found the chip, asked to remove it, I consented. The truck idled.

Mileage immeadiately improved as did the shifting. I tossed the chip in the trash. My last rig ('97 F-250 LD 5.4L) had a Superchip too, I installed that one. I barely noticed any change at all, except for the high end performance, which I was never really concerned with, I wanted mileage, but never got. Fortunately I did not pay very much for it.

That's two chips in two Ford trucks, that did not impress me, twice. I'll stick to how Ford designed it to be.

Reply to
Jeepers

My point was I HAD NO CHOICE IN THE MATTER. And furthermore, their generic programming was GARBAGE as far as I'm concerned.

No. My truck runs just fine without the additional expense. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

I still have a bad taste in my mouth from my tinkerings with the CPU. You may be entirely correct, but you understand my choice, right?

It's in a landfill in Corpus Christi by now. Besides, I thought I made it clear, IT WAS BAD. It would not let the truck idle (not the ICM, as I had expected), and I'll bet it was also behind my fuel pump failure too. A V10 fuel pump is a rather expensive way to find out the chip was problematic. Besides, the dealer hated the thing and had some choice words of their own about aftermarket chips.

For those of you wondering why I would take my used truck to a dealer for repairs, the answer is simple. I live in the country, far from The Big City and dealers give better service on late model vehicles than a Mom & Pop place. Besides, us country folk are all neighbors, dealers, bankers, and grocers alike.

At present I cannot tell folks in good concience about the wonderful things chips may have.

All that said, if I were building a street rod, I would heartily endorse a chip of some sort, but not on my single source mode of family transport.

Futher discussion on the stoopid chip warrants a new thread.

Reply to
Jeepers