Expedition starting trouble.

'98 Expedition, 5.4L cranks fine, will start to run but then dies immediately. This has happened in the past once or twice, but today was the first time it happened repeatedly. After about 10 tries it finnally stayed running and seems to be just fine now after stopping and restarting several times. The check engine light has not come on at all to give me a hint as to what might be flaking out. Has anyone experienced similar symptoms? 86k miles now. Tune-up done at 75K.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA RFan

Reply to
RFan

How does it quit? Is like it someone turned off the ignition? This would point to a possible bad electical connection. If it sputters and dies, it could still be that or a host of other problems. John

Reply to
JohnR66

Thanks for asking. It sputters and dies. Actually, when the problem occurs, it tbreifly tries to idle a such a low rpm that there's no way it should keep running, and, if I'm quick enough before it dies, trying to tap the gas pedal to bring it around has no effect. It's times like this that I wish it had a carb, and plugs I could see :-)

RFan

Reply to
RFan

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 21:49:24 +0000, RFan rearranged some electrons to form:

Have you replaced the fuel filter recently?

Reply to
David M

This could be caused by many problems. I'd check the computer for stored codes (even if no light), ignition and fuel delivery. John

Reply to
JohnR66

Try cleaning your MAF and IAC. You may need to soak the IAC valve end in solvent overnight. The MAF can be cleaned with a residue free electrical cleaner. You may be able to clean the IAC by removing the air intake pipe from the air cleaner box. You will need a good aerosol throttle body cleaner for the IAC. The IAC will need to be removed to clean properly. Both are easy cheap projects. Search Google for clean MAF or Clean IAC for pictures and instructions or check back here for more help if you decide to DIY. You tuneup may not have included these services since most commercial shops just replace them when service is indicated by a fault code. These items may not set a fault code while misbehaving.

Good luck Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Drove my 2000 Expo about 40 miles, shut it off for about 3 min, no start. Sputtering, sometimes starting at low rpm, then dying. Had it towed to a shop where it started fine. Shop owner told me Fords have a problem with fuel pumps that when they get hot, they quit. Drove it home, replaced fuel pump ($129) no more problems.

Reply to
Bartholomew Dilligaff

Might check for water in fuel. It is heavier than fuel and will sink to bottom of tank by pickup untill it is stirred up some.

Reply to
SnoMan