F-250 cruise switch assembly

How similar would the '98 F-250 cruise control switch assembly and location be to the recalled F-150 switches? Is there anything to even remotely worry about? TIA, Cheers, jc

Reply to
jc

Nope... different trany infact

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

I recall seeing a video of the problem. The switch is located on the brake Master Cylinder. Because the switch as a constant 'hot' feed to it, the thing can overheat the brake fluid and cause the fluid to catch fire. The problem has nothing to do with a transmission. Problem affects both trucks and cars of certain years.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

Thanks for the replies. As much as it pains me, I opened the hood and took a look. There is a 2 wire connector/switch on the top, forward end of the MC. On the very bottom of the MC there is a 4 wire connector - is this the one they refer to for the cruise? The MC is totally dry for now but that could change at any given moment.

If this is in fact the connector, it doesn't seem as though it would be difficult to make and secure (with JB Weld) a curved aluminum shield to cover it. Even something light like a soda can could be used.

Any thoughts on that idea? Thanks, jc

Reply to
jc

Yes, it's a bad one.

Before you start monkeyin around and 'fixin' it, go to the Ford dot Com website. Type Recalls in their search box and input your VIN number. Maybe your truck doesn't have the problem.

The problem switch is what turns the cruise control OFF when you hit the brakes. Don't have CC on my truck, but if I did and my truck had the problem, I'd disconnect the thing until it got the 'fix'. Not sure if that would set any codes, so maybe someone more knowledgable can speak to that. Sure would not park the vehicle in a garage.......

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

I totally agree with Dave on this one. Why on God's green earth would you want to try and rig some BS trailer park fix using a soda can and JBWeld on your late model when (IF you have this issue), Ford has offered a FREE fix that is not only reliable but would not damage the value of your vehicle?

Now if something like this was happening on my '74 or '83 trucks, that would be a completely different story! JB Weld has it's place AND time!

Reply to
Razorblade

Mainly because they're not offering a fix for F-250's as yet. Maybe a few of them have to catch fire first?

Could be it's not the same connector - which is what I am trying to find out. Thanks for the help. Cheers, jc

Reply to
jc