F250 vs. F350

Can anybody tell me the real difference between an F250 & F350. Both have the same hauling capacity according to Ford's brochure. The salesman said the 350 would pull more until I showed him the spec's. So, what's the functional difference? Thanks, Steven

Reply to
Steveracer

The GVW and payload capacity are different.

F250 SRW - 3300 payload / 10000 GVW F350 SRW - 4400 payload / 11400 GVW F350 DRW - 5800 payload / 13000 GVW

Look at the brochure carefully though, the maximum payload doesn't mean you'll also get the maximum GVW.

Steveracer wrote:

Reply to
Agave

On an RV group, it was said the springs and the badge Steve

Reply to
Steve H

Gross vehicle weight. 350 can carry more weight in the bed than the

250. I think my '02 was spec'd at about 4k lbs in the bed for a max gross of somwhere in the neighborhood of 11,000lbs. I've carried 2 yards of decomposed granite in my bed on several occasions.. Something like 5,000lbs or so? No problems whatsoever.
Reply to
invalid unparseable

Steven, Told to me by a friend who's a Ford heavy line mechanic...springs (and badge) if talking about SRW. No difference in towing if geared alike...a 250 can actually out pull a 350 if geared for it.

bradtx

Reply to
bradtx

Depending on what year you are talking about, as little as the fender badges & the door tags, that and about $2000. Some years actually offered different spring rates, generally they were the same. For the most part, the differences are marketing, Not mechanical. A few years back, the only distinction was a 4 inch block between the rear springs and axel on the F-350 and a 2 inch block on the F-250...

Now if you want to see some REAL differences take a look at an F-350 next to an F-450...

Reply to
351CJ

Reply to
TheSnoMan

I believe the diesel Superdutys have front Dana 60's starting in 2002. I can't back that up, though, I seem to remember reading it somewhere.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

That may be, but initially I recall only the dually 350s ran the Dana

60 front.

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4

Reply to
Matt Mead

2002 models: 250 GVW 8800, 350 GVW 9900.

The trucks (C/C w PSD )weigh around 7500 lbs, full fuel 2 pax so that leaves only 1400 lbs box capacity in the 250 but 2400 in the 350.

Given the pin wt of my Cardinal 33RLBW is about 2300 lbs, the 350 is right on for towing and the 250 is hopelessly over GVW.. by nearly 1000 lbs.

The newer models have "upped' the GVW on each.

Reply to
Rudy

This GVW rating is greatly over played because with a PSD truck you might have 4500 to 5000 lbs on front axle that only has a rating of around 5k and the stronger rear axle with a rating of 6K of more may only have 3500lbs on it at rated GVW. Myself I tend take GVW ratings with a grain of salt in that I watch axle and tire capacity not GVW rating because that is what can get you in trouble. A 250 will carry the pin weight just fine and I would not get it a second thought as it has the same axles, brakes and frame as the 350.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

My '02 SRW SuperDuty (F350) has a Dana 60 up front.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I think this is right, but not the same springs. That is the difference, just springs, and maybe the size of a tire. If you go with a dually, you also have twice as many sidewalls that gotta flex in response to sideways forces. That's not an enormous issue, but it's certainly a difference.

Reply to
Joe

My recall is this is true for the 2002 models, but it is NOT true for all model years. Some model years the front axle is different, as are the springs

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Springs are easy to fix with adding a leaf to them. On the front axle, Foord used a D50 in some SD F2500 and generally a D60 in a 350. THe D50 is basically a D60 style housing with D44 gears and bigger axle shafts and stubs (bigger than a D44) Weight capacity in of little difference between them. The only issue with them is if you plan a big lift with big tires, you want the D60, not the D50

Reply to
TheSnoMan

You have the V10 right? How did you determine if it is a 60?

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Um, never mind, you have a 350...duh

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

says on the build sheet I got when I picked it up. Verified by the folks at 4 Wheel Parts when I inquired about regearing to 4.56 gears.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Nobody has mentioned whether the two versions have the same brakes...... Which is what you really want when stopping a load.

Reply to
carl mciver