Ford F150, 88, 4 X 4, 5.0

OK I know I have 3 fuel pumps one in each tank which are the low pressure pumps the 3 one is the high pressure pump. Where is the high pressure pump located on the truck and can i replace it myself?

Reply to
ellajh

On the left frame rail almost directly under the firewall. And yes, it's an easy replace.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Are you sure an 88 has the frame mounted pump? My 87 had two high pressure pumps, one in each tank, and a plastic switch over valve that switched by fuel pressure. The switch in the cab switched the power to the pump and the gas gauge, the valve switched all the fuel and return lines. And that valve was problematic. There was a TSB on it.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

No, I'm not positive which year had them. The place I last worked had an '89 with the frame pump. Not hard to verify though. Crawl under, open eyes.

Reply to
Steve Barker

They stopped assembling F150s in Australia about then. I have an '89 5 litre which has the three pumps and the dual function reservoir which feeds the flow from the active tank to the adjacent HP pump. But I notice in the repair manual that the 5.8 litre version, in Oz anyway, had the HP pump in the tank. Presumably, if the 5.8 had two tanks, it would need something like the plastic switchover mentioned above. As you say, it should not be hard to find the separate HP pump and the reservoir if they are fitted.

Reply to
Ken