ford oil pressure

I have a difficult problem with a ford 460 in a rv converted shuttle bus. After running dry on oil(dont know why that happened) the oil pressure is 0 i confirmed that it really has no op. the engine is not locked up and starts but with no op i dont dare run it. if the oil pump

is really dead its a real bear to get it out of the engine in this vehicle. this sounds real rube goldberg but is it possible to pump oil into another place in the engine like where the oil pressure sending unit is and have it circulate to the critical places? i cant find any place that shows the oil circulation path in the engine. I could get an

electric pump hook the suction side to the oil pan drain and the discharge to some other place in the engine?

if anyone knows where i can find a drawing showing the oil circulation path in this engine please post it. thanks

mike

Reply to
cammanax

Mike,

How did you confirm there is no oil pressure? If you remove the oil presser sender does oil squirt out if you start it?

You can get oil to the engine but how are you going to get it out of the pan?

We use a Rube Goldberg system on one of our cars. We have a tank to hold about 10 quarts of oil. Then we have a oil filter relocation kit. There are available at most hot rod shops. It replaces the oil filter and has a remote filter holder and two hoses to connect them. The stock pump pushes oil out of this adapter, through the filter and back into the engine. We use a fan belt driven oil pump to pull the oil from the tank and push it through a filter and into the engine via the adapter that replaces the oil filter. The stock pump pumps it out of the crankcase and through a filter back into the tank. It works well but in your case you need to know why there is no oil pressure.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

That sounds like a good idea.

if the oil pump is really dead its a real bear to get it out of the engine in this

This part would be a no-no. You will pull all the crap that settles in the bottom of the pan into your engine, especially if you forget to put a filter in there. Either way it goes, if you plan on going to an external oil pump, then you have to remove the old oil pump and block off the passage, and then you can reroute the oil where you want it to pump in at. The oil filter location is a good place, but then you still have to block off the old oil pump. You can drill a hole in the side of the pan and put one of them add-on drain plugs there to get your oil from.

Reply to
pkurtz2