ford ranger with a black lab

i'm looking at buying a 2002 ford ranger super cab this weekend. does anyone have a guess if my black lab will fit behind the seats of this? she's 75lbs. her kennel at home is 24" wide, so i would say that is about the smallest area she can comfortablly turn around in.

*other than getting a new truck, or getting rid of the dog* i was wondering what my options were if she didnt' fit. i WON'T just throw her in the bed. i'd considered securing a kennel in the corner of the bed behind the cab. i could buy a "puphut" to keep the elements from being so harsh on her, but i'd still like her to be in the cab. i'm not crazy about that idea.

anyone know of any suggesions/have any measurements?

*ideally, since i won't use the back seat for anything other than the dog, i'd like to build some sort of shelf that goes across both rear seats (when folded down). the dog would be on the shelf, and i still have a usable loading floor below for tools, cargo, etc. BUT, i'm worried about her fitting on the floor, not to mention that there is less and less room the higher you get because the seats tilt back.

ideas/suggestions?

Reply to
oakj423

I have a 96 Supercab. Towards the rear of the floor of the supercab there is a ridge which is about the heighth of a 4x4 block. I put a peice of MDF on top of 2 4X4 blocks and the ridge to give my dog more space to lay down. He is also a large dog, 85 lb lab/malmut mix. He has space to turn around/stand/lay down. It also helps to leave the passthrough window open.

hope this helps Jon

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
mckenzie.jonathan

Are you using both front seats? The passenger seat slides forward a good ways, and would give more room. I used to have a black lab, and frankly, I think your dog would be fine, especially if you have 3 or 4 doors so she doesn't have trouble getting into the back.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Great, thanks.

When the dog is in the car, I am using both front seats. We go out of town on short trips a most weekends, so when the dog's in the car, both seats are taken, otherwise it wouldn't be an issue. I'm getting it saturday, so we'll see how it goes.

CJB wrote:

Reply to
oakj423

She fits in the back...not well, but she fits. The kennel in the bed didn't work well either. It's so big, it blocks the entire back window and it barely fits in there side-to-side. I think the truck is about

46" wide, and the kennel is 36" (long - I wanted it in there sideways). So, there's not enough room for her in the bed to get in the kennel sideways. But, she rides in the cab for now.
Reply to
oakj423

I'll bet that she's happy enough just to be able to tag along whereever you go. But huge kudos for you for thinking about her comfort and wanting to make it as good for her as it can be. :-)

-phaeton

Reply to
phaeton