Ford's Watching Us

If I disconnect the "Big Brother's Watching ME, Blackbox", that's located under the bed of the box and just in front of the spare tire, will my 2002 Ranger pickmeup operate/function properly?????

Reply to
R Mahone

Thank God!

It's not a "blackbox" (if this is where it's located on the Ranger) and its purpose is not for Big Brother to watch you. If what you're talking about is the CDR (Crash Data Recorder; SDM = Sensing Diagnostic Module; EDR = Electronic Data Recorder, etc, etc), its purpose is to determine if your air bags have to be deployed and in what manner (second stage, "new generation" where the bags deploy instages if/when required.) You wouldn't want your dash blown apart for only a very minor bump - the module detects how severe the crash is and decides whether or not to deploy (read "explode"!) the bags. Your airbags "know" how to deploy based upon where you are seated (sensor in the track), if your restraint is buckled or not - BTW this can cause severe (deadly) consequences for those who cheat the system by buckling the belt behind their back as the vehicle "thinks" you're being held back by the belt when in fact your face may be directly over the bag when it decides to give you its full force.

Fooling with the CDR at the least may blow your dash to shreds; at the most it may cost you (or your wife/girlfriend/child) your life.

FWIW

Keith

R Mah> If I disconnect the "Big Brother's Watching ME, Blackbox", that's located

Reply to
Krow