Load safety

Hello all,

It's time to haul some plywood. Any tricks I should know? A test fit with a sheet I already have suggests that it will fit between the wheel wells, but (no surprise) I can either have it flat or the tailgate closed. Is there anything I should know to avoid a cameo on the local news?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 16:10:05 +0000, Bill Schwab rearranged some electrons to form:

Tie it down so it won't blow out.

Reply to
David M

David,

Do you prefer it flat with the gate open, or leaning on the closed gate? It is probably easier to strap it to the open gate.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

Depending on how many sheets you need, I'd leave the gate up. The airflow won't lift the sheets, and the angle of the sheets will keep you from driving out from under them.

You can further secure the load with rope or tie down straps.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Good advise. Also long as the sheets total say 500 lbs or so or less I would use this method because that would place about 300 lbs of force on tailgate edge which should be no problem at all.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 16:56:33 +0000, Bill Schwab rearranged some electrons to form:

Since I have an 8-ft bed, I don't have to choose. I can put plywood in the bed laying down flat *and* close the tailgate.

Reply to
David M

This should be just under 300 lbs (it adds up fast). Thanks!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

There you go!

I vote for tailgate up. Sheet goods can slide! There's nothing really direct you can hook on to and keep them from sliding out. They're easy to tie down, but not so easy to tie "in".

Reply to
Joe

If you have the right cargo straps its easy to tie in. You hook one strap to the inside lip of the bed opening on each side of the tail gate and angle slightly toward the center of the tail gate and let it hang over the tail gate Load the plywood right on top of it all then run the straps to the opposite side of the bed, hook them to the tie downs on that side or the post holes in the bed and ratchet them tight. This assumes using good straps rated for at least 2 times what your load weighs. Then secure the load to the bed so it can't "bounce". Just putting the tail gate up so the sheets are angled into the bed is not going to secure them in place. Get smacked in the ass and sheets will come out. Remember you are liable for damage caused by unsecured loads. If there were tie downs in the bottom of the bed you could use ratchet straps and get them tight enough going across the load that they would stay put. Look at a flat bed carrying plywood next time you see one. If they fit in the bed with the gate up, then all you have to do is secure them to the bed, the gate will keep them in place as far as sliding out. Personally I wish the front of the bed was a lot more substantial then they are. Think 2x4 getting shoved through that front wall and then back of cab and then through drivers seat. Ouch.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning