looking for folks' ABS thoughts, plz

Hi, all,

My wife and I are looking to get another, relatively inexpensive vehicle for her. She's had her eye on several models, most likely a used Taurus.

What we've been up against is this: Most of the ones she likes don't have ABS. Most of the ones with ABS are much more expensive (for one reason or another, not necessarily because they're ABS-equipped), or have a lot more miles on them. However, she's kind of "sold" on getting a car with ABS, for the associated safety benefits (we've got two small children). The ABS in her current Dodge has come on several times over the years, so she's convinced she has a "need".

She and I were wondering what folks here thought, in general, of the pros/cons of ABS. I was surprised to hear a lot of people don't like the "feel" of ABS-equipped cars/trucks, so they deliberately get ones without it. What are the safety consequences of such a choice? What's the fact vs. fantasy vis-a-vis the safety benefits? I'd appreciate any opinions or anecdotes.

We're really just trying to figure out if we're alright getting an ABS-free car at her price-level, or (my general thought, partially based on professional experience) to pay a few extra bucks for added safety, especially where your family's concerned.

Thanks in advance,

S-M

Reply to
StreetMedic

My wife and I are shopping for a used vehicle. She prefers a car with ABS for its safety (we have two small children). The ABS in her current Dodge came on several times over the years, so she's convinced she has a need.

I heard some people buy cars without ABS because they don't like the "feel" of it. Are those people less safe? _____________________________________________________

ABS brakes help your car continue going straight if one or more wheels slide when braking hard after driving too fast for road conditions. If you drive safely and especially don't tailgate, ABS brakes will rarely if ever be needed.

Your post indicates that your wife has a history of driving too fast for road conditions "several times." If you can't take her car keys away or protect the children from riding with her, then get the best ABS system available.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

Not a Ford, but older Chevy Cavalier's had 4 wheel anti lock brakes and traction control. If you ever drive one in snow and ice, you'll be sold.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Lets first assume that the ABS control system is at least 3 channel, if not 4. ABS systems work by monitoring wheel speed and then working to reduce brake effort on the wheel(s) that is not spinning as fast as the others until it spins back up. A 3 channel system can actuate the brakes on the two front wheels and the rears in tandem. A 4 channel system can actuate all 4 wheel independently. What we are not talking about here is a vehicle stability system. These are similar, but in essence quite different.

PRO's:

1) If it's possible at all, ABS will provide you with the ability to easily maintain directional control of your vehicle in a low friction stopping situation. 2) ABS can modulate the brakes faster than the majority of drivers. CON's: 1) If your car has ABS, and the car behind you doesn't have ABS, is following too close, and doesn't have a trained driver, you're gonna get hit. 2) ABS isn't a miracle worker, thus operators need to be trained in how to work with ABS. Panic stops are just that, panic stops, and some folks don't operate very well when surprised. For older people, best ABS operation requires braking a different way than they may have originally been trained. 3) People take for granted that their car has ABS and thus tend to drive less conservatively. 4) A recent study of USA crash statistics showed that cars equipped with ABS are 65% more likely to be involved in a serious accident.

Knowing all the above, I'd still get ABS as I know that ABS is simply a tool that I and my family need to train on how to use.

Reply to
Mike H

Great posts, everyone. Thanx!

Reply to