Mileage Question

Can anyone tell me how hard on gas the 5.4l is, looking for a truck for towing a two horse trailer and also everyday driving, want to know what's best on fuel. Anybody got any comments on the 97-2002 F150 4X4's, problems etc. I don't know if the 4.6l will be big enough for me????

Reply to
T&L

I have a 2001 Expedition with the 5.4L, drive 120 miles a day 5 days a week and I'm getting around 14.5-15mpg average. My dad, who has been a mechanic for over 30 years, and is now the head mechanic at a GM dealership prefers the 5.4 over the 4.6...says it's a better engine overall...

Reply to
Jeffrey Day

I've got an E150 w/ the 5.4L engine. I get 14-15 MPG very consistently; doesn't much matter if it's around town or on the road. The van is loaded (it's an RV conversion) so it weighs around 6,000 lbs.

--Kamus

Reply to
Kamus of Kadizhar

I get about 16-17 mpg on a daily 52 mile each way highway ride with the 5.4 in a 2001 supercrew F150. I drive it fast, not babying it at all. Towing a aprox 5000 pound travel trailer I got about 10 or 11 mpg on a long trips ( NJ to FL) , 5 passengers and a load of junk in the bed too. The truck is nice and peppy, and plenty powerful for my towing needs, I can do the speed limit with no problem with my trailer.

125,000 miles on the engine, it runs just like new and uses no oil, though I did manage to eat the pinion bearings in the rear end last september on a trip to Ohio, I made it home but the rear was howling, $700 later it was back to normal :-( I was not pleased. That's the only thing on the truck that gave me any trouble so far though, I did change a set of tires and the brakes but that's to be expected.
Reply to
Mikey S.