More Traction for 2003 F-150 XLT

Today was the first icy weather I have drove in since buying the truck. I found out real quick that traction is no better than the s-10 I sold.

What is the best upgrade to take care of this problem? Should I install a locker?

Reply to
SDR Yount

If it's not 4WD, you should throw about 10) 50# bags of sand in the back over the rear axle.

Reply to
scrapeNO-THANKS

If it's glazed ice on the road, NOTHING will take care of it until the sand trucks and scrappers "take care of this problem". :-(

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

If you are spending or expect to be spending a lot of time in snow or worse, ice, then invest in a good set of dedicated snow tires that are designed to stay soft when cold. The European call the compound "hydrophyllic" (guess at spellling) - I imagine american tire companies do the same thing. I remember years ago I lived in a rental with a sloped driveway and every day had to push the vehicle out with all season tires. I put a set of Kelber (I think German - not sure if they are still made) and I drove out of the sloped driveway covered with glare ice as if it were dry pavement. I never had a problem with snow or ice while everyone else with their all seasons were sliding in the ditches. Sure made me a believer of proper tires for their intended use. You don't say if your truck is a 4wd - but I assume it is from your question. Remember, that 4wd is only going to help you if you are stuck in a situation where you need the extra traction and your tires are alble to give it to you. To relate another incident (us old people are allowed to ramble) I remember an incident towing a snowmobile trailer as was a friend of mine. He obviously had better tires than I did, cause every time we came to a stop at a gas station or such where there was glare ice, he pulled away as pretty as you please in two wheel drive and I had to put it into 4wd to get started - the tow vehicles were about the same weight as well as the trailers - the only difference were the tires. You have to judge - where do you live - how much ice are you expecting to get?

Good luck, let us know what you exact conditions are - where are you living, what are you driving, what tires are on it etc.

Cheers, Don

"SDR Yount" wrote in message news:LihRb.9721$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com...

Reply to
Don

Good point, Don. I believe Bridgestone makes a tire called the Blizzack that performs very well in snow/ice conditions.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader