need help with ford van

I have an 88 ford e-150 van with a straight 6 fuel injected the problem is it will run for about 30 seconds and run out of fuel I know it is fuel because I kept it running with carb cleaner it has dual tanks both tank pumps are working I disconnected the lines and turned the key on and fuel came out I had to replace the pump on the frame so I bought a new one and I am only getting 20lbs of pressure the book says 45-65psi so I replaced the fuel regulator and it made no difference any ideas Thanks

Reply to
william farris

Did you replace ALL of the fuel filters? IIRC there are at least two filters between the tanks and the fuel rail. How about a partially blocked standpipe in one of the tanks or a blocked fuel line? Failing that, is the relay that turns the fuel pump on/off working correctly.

Dave D

Reply to
Dave D

I changed the filters and checked the lines for blockage they are clear. I even run a hot wire from the battery directly to the pumps still only

20 lbs pressure, I am wondering if the new fuel pump is bad from the factory
Reply to
william farris

Is the pressure low on both tanks (Do you have a 1 pump or 2 pump system?) If it is one pump, than defiantly I'd look hard at that.

Reply to
Steve

it is a 2 pump system and it has dual tanks both fuel tanks are pumping fuel

Reply to
william farris

So with the pressure gauge hooked up, does the pressure change at all when switching tanks? It would be doubtful that both pumps are running the same pressure.

Reply to
Steve

What about the valve between the tanks? What year is the van?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

the van is an 88 and the fuel pressure did not change between tanks I went ahead and got another high pressure pump and I got 50lbs pressure that was the problem just because it was new doesn't mean it is good I found that out Thanks for all your help

Reply to
william farris