Pathfinder Stuck In Low

Greetings to all

My 89 Pathfinder just started to get stuck in low after coming to a stop. It will not shift to second under any circumstance. I tried selecting D, 2, L then back to D from the shifter, then I tried flooring it to move all the linkage and I tried a soft slow start.... nothing!!! I turned the engine off for 5 seconds and started it back up and it shifted fine???? The trans fluid is full and clear with no burnt smell to it. Does anybody have any ideas what is going on ? Why does stopping the engine allow it to shift after restarting?

89 pathfinder V6, auto trans

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. Mike H.

Reply to
Mike Hagerty

You sure the fluid is full?

Reply to
AV

The fluid is full. checked it hot and cold. Any other tips for this problem?

Mike H.

AV wrote:

Reply to
Mike Hagerty

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 18:21:35 -0700, Mike Hagerty scribbled:

I'm not too sure if this is related, but I have an 1986 Mitsubishi Sigma SS with a 4 stage auto transmission. I was experiencing troubles with shifting too. It would occasionaly go into 'limp-home' mode thus locking it into the failsafe 3rd gear. Accelerating was embarrassing. I checked the fluid, all fine there. It turns out it was just corroded connectors to and from the transmission to the transmission computer. I sprayed CRC 5.56 (or WD40 etc) on all the connectors I could find, and I have yet to experience any more problems. Oh, and yes turning off my ignition would fix the problem temporarily, until it happened again.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Phil

-- Phillip Weston Taumarunui, New Zealand

Phillip Weston