Overdrive?

I have a 1996 Ford Ranger XLT that I just bought from my father in law. I noticed that it has an over-drive setting on the column shifter. What is this for? Should I use it regularly or only in certain situations like snow or when it's raining? I know I probably sound like an idiot but I know little to nothing about cars, so thanks for any help you offer.

Reply to
Yaz

It turns OD off. The default is that overdrive is on. Everytime you start the truck, OD is on until you press the button and turn OD off. If OD is off when you park the truck, it will be on the next time you start.

You should never turn OD off unless you are driving in hilly country and the transmission is shifting back and forth all of the time. When this happens, turn OD off and the transmission will lock to the lower gear. When you get to flat land again, press the button again. OD off will use more gasoline, but it will provide more power.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks much!

Reply to