Overheating 302

I'd check or rather change the thermostat first, but don't overlook the possiblity of a restricted catalytic converter.

Reply to
Robert Mozeleski

My '87 E-150 van, recently bought, with an EFI 302 and AOD , gets very hot when run at 65 mph, but, left at idle, it heats up to just under the centermark on the gauge. It hasn't boiled over yet, but gets up to 3/4 of the gauge when run at 65. Belt is good, thermostatic fan clutch seems O.K.

What should I check, other than thermostat, & flush out radiator& block?

How do I check the EGR valve?

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
thomas_graham

Make sure there is a spring in the lower hose to prevent it's collapse at higher rpm's.

Reply to
Steve Barker HFC