Overheating?

96 GT 'vert, no mods. Temps here in Florida have been in the upper 80's/Low 90's. On the temperature guage, should I normally be running in the upper part of the "NORMAL" range? I seem to be running between the "A" and the "L"....

I've also had to top off the radiator reservoir twice in the past month - light seems to go on when the reservoir falls about an inch below the full mark.

Any help appreciated....

Iggy '01 Dyna Super Glide '96 Mustang GT Convertible Keep your powder dry and don't let your meat-loaf. :o)

Reply to
SRQEagan

Full mark is at the cold level. Add some antifreeze to bring it between the hot & cold mark. My sensor trips at the cold (full) mark also.

Gauge reading is the same on mine. Runs anywhere between the low end to high end depending on air temperature and cruising speed. Since I am running 4:10 gears if by cruise speed is around 75-80 mph (2700-3000 rpm) on a hot day the gauge will be at the high end

Reply to
Richard

Would it help to replace the thermostat with a 180degree one?

Iggy '01 Dyna Super Glide '96 Mustang GT Convertible Keep your powder dry and don't let your meat-loaf. :o)

Reply to
SRQEagan

I'm running a 180 degree thermostat with 3:73 gears, the needle only gets to 3 o'clock position above 80 mph for any length of time. In daily driving it sits at about the 4 o'clock position always. I also live in South Florida so I know what you mean about the temp. here. I have a 3 core radiator ( 4 years old ), new water pump (changed last week due to leak) and the thermostat has been in for about 2 months now. I also put on new Goodyear Silicone hose when I put in the new thermostat. I had a 170 degree before that and it ran too cold, took forever to heat up. I also flush the radiator about twice a year and replaced the original clutch fan about 8 months ago due to it looking so bad.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

Thanks to all for the input....I will get all this done this weekend.

BTW, is pressure testing a good idea?

Iggy '01 Dyna Super Glide '96 Mustang GT Convertible Keep your powder dry and don't let your meat-loaf. :o)

Reply to
SRQEagan

Do you suspect a leak somewhere?? Or are you talking about the radiator cap itself. If it's not holding to it's rated pressure then that might also be the reason the temperature is running higher than normal.

Reply to
Richard