Ping: Trans Surgeon

I would like some quick telephone advice ASAP. If I can call you please email me your tel #.

TIA

Reply to
Roy Brown

If not, could you please give me your opinion on my other posts in the thread:

"94 Ranger problems (tranny and now white smoke?)"

Is there something fixable or do you think I also need a remanned transmission.

Reply to
Roy Brown

if it's 'still' blowing white smoke, it's still sucking ATF out of the modulator

Reply to
TranSurgeon

The smoke is gone. They changed the defective modulator, dropped the pan again showing no visible debris, charging me yet another hours labour. Said the fluid looks dark.

Where it used to shift hard up and down a little above 20 MPH before we started everything - it now slips. RPM's seem higher all across the board, then again that could be my imagination. A couple of times I hear some chattering under load, more often in reverse.

Mechanic is telling me the tranny just died and needs rebuilding - has nothing to do with his changing the fluid and the modulator. Is just a coincidence.

The truck is at 68,000 km. I've towed a uhaul trailer once in the last 2 years, don't try to burn rubber or do any off roading. The previous owner did not seem the type for that either. I am just a little miffed that some preventative maintenance seems to have started this all off.

I've noticed in the Ford service manuals that one can adjust the bands. When would one normally perform that service? Would it help here?

I am confused. I thought following your suggestion of a partial fluid change would be good for the truck. Is it normal for the A4LD to just start slipping that quickly?

I know it is hard for you to say without seeing or driving the truck. But if there is something I can try and report back to you then I will.

Can you recommend a site that has a good description of the basic workings of an automatic transmission so I can get a better understanding?

Reply to
Roy Brown

it's too late to tell at this point, but I wonder if the correct modulator was put in it

coincidence.

Reply to
TranSurgeon

The first modulator, second or both?

OK my brother suggested that I bring the truck to his town to see a tranny guy he recommends. It is about 40 minutes away at highway speeds. Would you think it is OK to drive mine that far, or should I get it towed?

Reply to
Roy Brown

the second one

as far as driving it 40 miles, I wouldn't

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Thank you very much,

Made arrangements to bring it in to the trans shop on Tuesday. I'll post back when we know more.

Reply to
Roy Brown

Roy;

E-mail me with ''Ranger transmission' as subject line

TranSurgeon

Got it to the tranny shop.1st test drive (me driving) the tech noticed the slipping, but wanted boss to check it out. 2nd drive with boss, started off with the slipping, then the reams of white smoke and rough engine, rattling etc. He thought the same as me, head gasket, when this happened back in the beginning of this ordeal. Said it was virtually impossible for 2 modulators to go within a tank of gas. So he pulled into the mechanic he knew to get a second opinion. They popped the hood, pulled the vacuum line, smoke stopped and engine levelled out.

Turns out the 1st garage dropped the little pin the modulator valve moves, this in turn, was causing the diaphragm to blow. They had a pin on hand, installed it with a new modulator and more fluid.

So 3 modulator valves and partial fluid changes later, I've still got a hard shift up and down that I guess I'll have to live with. Carrying a lighter load in my wallet doesn't seem to make any difference.

Do you think tinkering with the adjustment screw on the modulator valve might help?

Thank you for all the help.

Reply to
Roy Brown

refresh my memory on truck, engine, trans type

Reply to
TranSurgeon

| > Do you think tinkering with the adjustment screw on the modulator valve | might | > help? | >

| | refresh my memory on truck, engine, trans type | |

94 Ranger 4X4 4.0 litre, A4LD
Reply to
Roy Brown

OK

line pressure is controlled by modulator

shift timing is controlled by throttle cable

if the shifts are 'on time', leave the cable alone

if the shifts are 'too hard', first check for good vacuum at the modulator

it should track intake vacuum

if it does, then , yes, turn the adjustment screw 'out' (CCW) to 'soften' the shifts; this will also make them a bit earlier

'in' (CW) to firm them up; this will make them a bit later

if the shifts are too early or late, adjust the throttle cable a notch at a time one way or the other till they're where you want 'em

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Thank you,

I'll pull out the service manual to determine the right shift points and vacuum levels before trying anything.

Reply to
Roy Brown