Continuing Ranger saga

A couple of weeks ago, I explained a problem I'm having with my 2002 Ranger

4x4 XLT. Specifically, the Goodyear Wrangler RT/s tires were worn and scallopped and causing excessive road noise. The dealership says it is due to improper or lack of rotation even though they have have done all the servicing.

I phoned Ford's Quality Care (a misnomer) and they checked with the dealership and told me there was nothing they would do. She suggested I phone Goodyear which I did. The lady at Goodyear told me it sounded like a mechanical problem and I should contact the dealership. She also told me that although there was no thread wear guarantee, I should expect to get

70,000 kms from these tires. This is a far cry from the estimated 24,000 kms currently on them.

I then visited the local Goodyear dealer and he had a look. He called Goodyear but no luck. He thinks it may be a suspension problem like bad ball joints and suggested I go see the dealer again. Personally, I suspect it is more like a problem with the LS rear axle since the noise problem started when the rear tires were moved to the front.

The truck is going in for it's 35,000km servicing on Friday and I've asked them to look into it further.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed from here?

Also, last week I was making a sharp right hand turn out of a parking lot when the truck suddenly jerked and there was a loud noise. I though I had stalled it but I didn't. Second thought was that it was somehow in 4WD but it wasn't (I have to turn the switch on the dash)

The truck seems to be operating normally but does anyone have any ideas on this one?

I do like the truck but there seems to be a multitude of gremlims that no one seems to acknowledge.

Thanks,

Glen Smith Sydney, NS

Reply to
Glen Smith

My experience is that scalloping is normally due to weak shock absorbers. If your Ranger's shocks are Ford stockers, they probably should have been tossed at the 5000 mile mark. I've also found that shortly after changing to real, quality shocks, the cupping wears off the tires and everything gets nice and quiet again.

Just my opinion. Dave

Reply to
David Ward

David,

I appreciate your opinion and I will be mentioning that to the dealership on Friday. The truck has the standard shocks, not the HD 'bulge' type that comes with the 4x4 Offroad package.

Glen Smith

Reply to
Glen Smith

Reply to