power window motor

Well, I took the old 2000 OBW to the dealers to have them check my driver-side power window problem. It slides down easily enough, but when
it comes time to go up, you have to hold the button down long and hard, before it starts to go up. The dealer's solution is that the window motor is shot, and they can generously replace it for me, for a $350 parts + labour extra. I was thinking of maybe just going to a junkyard and get a used motor for it instead. What other Subies would be compatible to mine? Would Impreza motors work on mine? What model years would be compatible?
Also the fact that only the upward movement is affected, and not the downward, wouldn't that indicate something that could be reparable on the existing motor? Like a bad solder connection or something?
    Yousuf Khan
What about the window switch contacts that send power to the motor? I've cleaned them on older model subies to good effect. Yes, would go down, then not back up very well. Was just poor contact in the switches. (-;
~Brian

What did you use to clean them up? Any special solvent?
Yousuf Khan
Fingernail, tip of screwdriver, small piece of sandpaper, tiny file, wire wheel on a Dremel, etc., whatever I had handy at the time. Never tried solvent, so don't know how or which kind would do the trick, but you'll see if you take your switch apart, where the clean, brassy-colored metal contact areas have blackish, dirty-like coating. You want to get that back to clean metal again, and your switch is back in business.
On my '93 Impreza the passenger door switch for the window I looked at is a sealed unit, and knowing me, I would destroy it trying to get it open. So, might be better, depending on the switch, to price out a replacement. Maybe from a u-pull it yard if you can find a well-working switch. They plug into a harness and are held in by a couple of screws, so it's not super hard to take them out. Now if only my '93 had the auto window up feature as well, but alas I was told too many folks let their kids get squished in them. )-;
Careful with the plastic moulding around the switches, as it has a tendency to become brittle and may break when you start fiddling with the screws that hold it in place from the back. Nothing more frustrating than to fix your switches only to have them loose in the door panel or their plastic housing. (-;
~Brian

The electric motor is not the problem because it works going down. The problem is too much resistance in the switch. Replace/repair the switch.
The problem will most probably be mechanical drag due to the glass adjustments in the door or dirt inside the tracks in the doors.