powerstroke fuel consumptoin

i rented a 2000 F450 4X4 powerstroke automatic the other day for a job and it only got 7.5 mpg.is this correct?? the rental agency said yes, but my 88 7.3 diesel gats 18-22 on the highway. this pig used 125 gallons of fuel to go 1075 miles. i refused to pay the full rental till i get some satisfaction on the fuelv amount. either a reimbersment cause the truck was not running rite, or pay for 1/2 the fuel

Reply to
Falcoon

How was it loaded? Did the previous user really get the tank full; diesel foams and it takes work to get it full. How was it running when you took posession?

Reply to
Chris Hill

it was full, i fueled it before leaving. it ran like shit the whole way. 3 ton load for 535. miles, empty for 535 miles. i was wondering if anyone else has run a 4X4 f450 and what fuel milage they got

Reply to
Falcoon

Mine is an F350 4X4, but when towing 19,000 total weight, (includes truck) I get between 11 and 13mpg.

7.3PSD Turbo Hypertech Stage III set at Stage II Banks Billet Torque Converter.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

You probably shouldn't have taken it if it wasn't running right. Was it smoking a lot? If so, that was your fuel going bye-bye. It isn't going to get 16 empty like my f350 because it weighs more and has a higher-numbered rear-end, but I would expect about 10 or so.

Reply to
Chris Hill

I think they just lied to you about how much fuel they put in, when you returned the truck. ALWAYS, fill the tank yourself just before you return a rental vehicle. You will pay less per gallon for the fuel and they can't BS you about how many gallons it took to fill the tank. It also pays to pull into the first station and top off the tank when you first pick up a rental. If it takes more than a gallon or two, you already know you are dealing with crooks.

Reply to
Tyrone

ok thanks that was what i was looking to see the rental agency was trying to tell me they only get 7.5 mpg. i new this had to be a crock of s%#%because my

88 f250 gets 14 around town
Reply to
Falcoon

the gearing can not be that far off from the 4.10's in the 88,cause it will do

85 mph at 3300 rpm just like the 88 will. as far as not taking it, i had no choice, there was nothing else to take, and i was under a deadline to deliver, i had 14 hrs to make a 1pm appointment 535 miles away.and it did not smoke
Reply to
Falcoon

I get about 14 mpg pull a 7400lb trailer at 60 mph . Fuel mileage falls off fast at any speed above 60 mph. I think the main cause of the bad fuel mileage you got was the engine out of it's power range . The max rpm on a 7.3 is about 3400rpm.

Reply to
dennis

I get around 14 in daily driving.

Reply to
pdb

Reply to
epicday

I believe the F450 has 19" wheels. The ration will be higher just to keep the engine RPM equal to the F350.

Reply to
Mellowed