Ranger "tweets" around 3k RPM...

Vehicle: 2001 Ranger XLT Standard Cab 3.0 V6 5 speed auto AC/Cruise/etc. RWD ~61000 miles

Right around 3000 RPMs, the truck starts to make a "tweeting" or whistle. The truck doesn't do this when sitting in park; just in drive. The tweak gets higher in pitch and the flutter gets faster, but quiter as the RPMs climb. Higher or lower gear doesn't make a difference.

Though I'm not real used to the truck, the sound seems to be coming from right behind the dashboard in the engine compartment on the driver's side, though acoustics can be tricky on the ears.

I'm thinking it is some kind of vacuum leak, but I've checked around and all the hoses seem fine. The belt is ok, etc.

Any clues?

The truck runs just fine, otherwise.

Reply to
Shane Wolfe

Well on my 2001 4.0L v6 there was a TSB out for the Timing chain rattle which occured between 2500-3000RPM. Perhaps its the same on your 3.0L. Check out

for more info.

Reply to
BD

Wouldn't the timing chain rattle in park or neutral as well? If so, mine isn't doing that. The sound is only there under drive...

Reply to
Shane Wolfe

This is a cool one. :) My guess is "an exhaust manifold leak".

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:02:59 -0500, Shane Wolfe rearranged some electrons to form:

Driveline? U-Joint?

Does it happen at 3000rpm no matter what gear you are in?

Reply to
David M

That was my first guess, but I checked, and retorqued the bolts... With a manifold leak, wouldn't it make the sound in nuetral at the same RPM?

How about the PCV valve? Would it tweet when clogged/malfuctioning?

Reply to
Shane Wolfe

Yes. The gear doesn't matter so much.

David M wrote:

Reply to
Shane Wolfe

How did you check it for a vacuum leak?

It may still be a vacuum leak, at that rpm, the vacuum circuit opens the egr valve as well, but it's not open at idle, unless it's stuck.

A little propane released in and around the area of vacuum lines can help rule out leaks, listening for the engine rpms to go up, other things can be used as well, but propane is the safest.

Just an idea, hard to tell without hearing your noise.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I know. It is very hard to tell someone about a noise. It is always better to hear it.

I did the check with starter fluid. No increase noticed. It's due up for its 60k mile maintaince. I hope to find the cause when I do it this weekend.

Spdloader wrote:

Reply to
Shane Wolfe

Good luck Shane.