Bleeding clutch master cylinder/slave

I just replaced the master cylinder/hose/slave on my wife's 1990. When we tried to bleed the system we pumped on the clutch pedal for over 20 minutes with not even a drop of fluid coming out of the bleeder. Yes, I rechecked all my connections to make sure they were tight and not crossthreaded. We tried to bleed just like when you bleed brakes, loosening and tightening the bleeder valve. Filled the master cylinder with new fluid.Any ideas where I am going wrong and what I need to check? Any info would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Guy

Reply to
stogiepuffer

Try a gadget called a MityVac. It has a hand driven vacuum pump and a resevoir to make jobs like this easy.

Otherwise try disconnecting the line at the slave cylinder and get fluid down that far. Also prefill the slave as much as possible.

Good luck.

Reply to
Natman

I've seen them not pump after as many as 30 pedal strokes when only the slave was changed.

Last time I did the master cylinder, I noted the instructions suggested a bench bleed but they didn't provide a hose. So I put my finger over the end and pumped til the master squirted some fluid. Then I hooked up the line. Also, I didn't do the pedal-open bleeder-close bleeder until I got most of the air out of the slave.

Reply to
seasalt726

I had the same thing happen to me when I changed the clutch master cylinder on my '90 MX-6. It took about 50-75 pumps, but finally pumped up. I too, thought I had done something wrong.

Al

Reply to
Al