Re: 99 Ranger Random Idle RPM Problem

Hi Group,

> > 1999 Ford Ranger 4 cyl., 5 speed man.,105,000 miles, I have put every mile > on it. At 104,000 miles put in new plugs & plug wires (1st time), air > filter, fuel filter, PVC valve (2nd time). I was beginning to have a very > low idle RPM, which would cause the truck to stall, it was getting worse so > figured it was due for a tune up. The truck ran smooth otherwise. Since > tuning the truck up the very low idle RPM does not happen all the time only > every once in awhile, very random. Some days it runs great all day, other > days it idles poorly all day, some days it comes and goes. If there was a > way to set the idle RPM I believe my problem would be solved, but the > computer controls all that, the truck does not have a tach so I can't give > you a RPM number. The truck passed emissions testing no problem after the > tune-up, it was idling fine when I went for the test. It has never failed > the test before. Anyways what could cause this very random idle RPM problem? > If I took it to Auto Zone and had them hook their computer to it would that > tell me anything? Thanks for any ideas. > > Ken > > >

Hi Group,

Just wanted to let everyone know what I have found so far. On another discussion board someone suggested tapping on the IAC solenoid, which I did with the plastic end of a screw driver, started the truck up and everything was idling just fine. So does that mean the IAC is bad? Or do I just tap on it when it acts up again? The IAC is $111.00 from the Ford dealer. Also found someone suggesting cleaning the MAF sensor, helps with idling and pinging problems. The MAF is $187.00 from the Ford dealer, with a $75.00 core charge. I did notice that the MAF has a drop of glue or solder on one of the torx screw heads, and the other screw head has a small post sticking up so you can't use a regular torx screw driver, so I guess they don't want you opening this unit up. Wonder if they will still give you the $75.00 core charge back if you do open the MAF up?

Thanks, Ken

Reply to
Ken

Wow, this is a first for this group, no responses at all. I guess I'm on my own this time.

AutoZone said their computer would not tell me anything unless my check engine light is on. It is not on.

I start my truck if it idles rough, I shut it off and go tap on the IAC, restart and it runs fine. Looks like I will have to replace the IAC. I will also check to see if I can buy the special screw driver required to open up the MAF so I can clean that also.

If anyone has anything to add, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks, Ken

Reply to
Ken

They are all over the Educated Republicans thread wasting time.

No expert here but anyway.....

Autozone might help, I dunno. Could be the fuel pump. Do you use gas with methanol? Maybe O2 sensor; doesn't sound like it but.....

Else, I would be way out on the guessing limb.

Norm

Reply to
Norm