Re: Front end clunk

94 F-350, 4x4. I get a clunk when I turn the steering wheel sitting still or

> hit a bump at slow speeds (15- roughly 30 mph). I replaced the inner tie rod > end. It moves quite a bit and clunks. Could this be my problem? I can move > it with my hand. I can feel the clunk through the drivers floorboard. The > rod end is the only thing I found loose while it's not moving. Could I have > gotten the wrong one? Can anyone check their truck to see if the rod end > moves so much? I have a C***y but it's a different set up.

It shouldn't move I just replaced them on my F-150 a few months back and everything is nice and tight. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry P

It's normal to feel somewhat loose as far as twisting it, but it shouldn't have any play as far as linkage length, end connections, etc. It can twist, but nothing else. If you grab a rod and pull it back and forth, it should not have any play, or "clunk" to it. You probably have something else loose. Check everything, including all the bushings. Shot radius arm bushings could do this. Get someone to rock the steering wheel to make the clunk while you are underneath watching it. You may have a wore out steering arm. I'll think you'll notice it if you are underneath while it happens. Might as well check your kingpins for excess slop while you are at it. MK

Reply to
Mark Keith