Re: GM Dealer Challenges the Toyota Tundra's Ads... AS BULL

It is an error on the page and to most people OHV means it is NOT > SOHC

> period. > I made a snapshot of Ford's errored page. Do I need to attach it. > Click on the link for the Mustang GT's 4.6L OHV 24V V8 link you get > a child > page that says > 4.6L SOHC. > > Don't try to Tell me OHV = SOHC or DOHC. This has never been the > case.

Clearly, the Ford web page author made a mistake. However , OHV = over head valves and you don't have to have push rods to have over head valves. So while the usage is misleading, it is not false. The 4.6L V-8 most definitely has a over head valves. It also has a single overhead camshaft. So while it is an SOHC engine, it is also a OHV engine.

The one who isn't acknowledging the history of Toyota engines that > get more > power and torque out of less displacement.

Especially when you measure the horsepower with special intakes and exhaust...

?section=news&subject=recent&story=031306storyaDN&referer=&aff=sacbee

Pushrod engines have more reciprocating weight.

Not true. You might be able to claim that push rod valve trains have more reciprocating mass, but not necessarily the whole engine (and even then you might be on shaky ground). You should check out NASCAR push rod engines (even the Toyota NASCAR V-8). They spin those 6 liter V-8s to over 10,000 rpm with push rods. If valve train reciprocating mass was the main deterring factor in engine performance, race cars would all be running flat head engines.

This will always be a grave > liability to engine performance simply because of physics. Does > your > rhetoric undermine or replace physics ?

Does yours?

People get fixated on maximum horsepower numbers. What I want is a car that drives properly. I've had 240 HP cars that were a pain to drive in traffic, and 140 HP cars that were a joy to drive in traffic. The V-6 Camry I test droive a was a POS. If you floored it, it accelerated briskly, but in around town driving it was hopeless. Unresponsive, the transmission constantly hunted for the right gear, and unless you floored it, it lagged like heck. My SO's 4 cylinder automatic transmission RAV4 drove much better in traffic. Toyota can publish all the big numbers they want for horsepower, but if it drives like a POS, it is a POS.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White