rear axel ratio

I am thinking of ordering a 2004 F-150 5.4L V8 what are the advantages of the differant rear axel ratios?

Thanks, ph.

Reply to
Peter Hodgins

lower ratios (higher number) give you more power but less top speed and less fuel economy due to the engine turning higher revs at highway speed. For instance a 4:11 axle will give best towing performance and deliver plenty of power in off road situations where speeds are generally lower but will consume more fuel than a higher ratio (lower number) when cruising the interstate. A 3:55 ratio will deliver better highway mpg but will not have the extreme power benefits when towing and off roading. If you are going to use the truck for a daily driver, family truckster, grocery getter with occasional light towing and occasional moderate to severe off roading than a

3:55 or there abouts would likely be a good compromise. If your needs are more severe duty where you will be towing more than 5,000 lbs. or so on a regular basis and get into frequent extreme off roading than a lower axle ratio in the 3:73 to 4:11 range would probably be best. If you plan to lift the truck and put bigger tires on it then go with a low ratio to keep your final drive manageable once the larger tires are in place. Also, in the case of the off roading a limited slip axle is a real good choice, most trucks with an "off road" package have these but best to ask the salesman and get him to verify for you.

Hope this helps. God Bless,

Reply to
BunnMan

I wouldn't recommend the 4:11's unless you are towing a lot. My 250 has 4:11 and it tows like a charm but if I get 10mpg I'm doing really good. In off-road situations you can always use low range on the transfer case to increase gear ratios.

Jimmy

Reply to
James Gillespie