Rear end gearing on Ranger

My 2004 4cyl 5spd ranger came with a 3.73 ratio on the rear differential. At

55mph the tach is at 2000 rpm in 5th. If I changed to a 4.10 ratio, what would be the rms at 55mph? I get about 2,200 rpms (4.10/3.73 *2000=) does this sound correct?

I wonder what to expect on costs? I would like a limited slip differential.

Thanks

Reply to
JohnR66

Check out the math yourself with online calculator at link below

TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Thanks. I'll have to find out my transmission ratios for the 5 speed. John

Reply to
JohnR66

Check out this link to help ID your tranny

TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

It is correct.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Why do you want to change?

It is not cheap, and most mechanics' are not very good at it.

I wouldn't own a truck without a limited slip rear differential. I wouldn't own a non 4x4 either...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

On Jun 9, 10:37 am, "JohnR66" wrote: ...

You don't need to get new gears to add a limited slip. And a used

7.5" limited slip differential (minus the ring gear and pinion gear) should be cheap to find. Especially if you hang out around 4x4 shops as many ranger folk upgrade their diffs to the bigger 8.8.
Reply to
Mike H