Starting Problem-Late 60's Ford Pickup F-100

I have a late 60's model Ford pickup, F-100 with V8 engine. Don't use it but about once a week. Three weeks ago it wouldn't start. Old battery was way down, so I tried charging it and it wouldn't build up. Put on new battery and it started right up and I thought the problem was solved.

Week later it started up just fine and I went to the bank. Tried to start it back up as it rolled backward. Something I seldom do. Motor turned over fine;but wouldn't start. Stopped the vehicle completely and tried again and nothing. Got out,raised the hood and put a screwdriver between the battery post and to the starter post on the starter relay. Just heard a buzzing sound. (I'm real hard of hearing;but wear a hearing aid.) So couldn't tell where the buzzing sound was coming from? Figure it was the starter;but can the starter relay make a buzzing sound too when you jump across the battery post side to the starter post?

Then got back in the truck and tried it again and the truck started right up. So wondering now if the started relay could be good and the starter itself just bad enough to not work part of the time? Before this I had always thought that when the starter went bad,it went bad completely. Am I wrong on that?

Reply to
Ronny TX

Aren't you glad those old starter relays are under $10? The problem is more likely to have been corrosion on some one of the cable ends.

DanG

Re: Starting Problem-Late 60's Ford Pickup F-100 Group: alt.trucks.ford Date: Sun, Nov 27, 2005, 10:48am From: snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net > (DanG)

Ronny: Those parts are pretty cheap. :-) And I have thought before about corrosion on those two wires connectors that go to the starter relay. Didn't think about that this time though. And I need to check the wire connection at the starter and clean that off just in case.

BTW,the 3 speed transmission finally went out on this old truck this year. Had one problem with it several years ago where 1st gear hung up and somethings came apart. Had another old transmission for extra parts,took it all to a transmission place nearby and picked it up next day and only paid $50 for that repair! :-) Less than $300 earlier this year to have a junkyard transmission put in.

---------- "Ronny TX" snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3332.bay.webtv.net... I have a late 60's model Ford pickup, F-100 with V8 engine. Don't use it but about once a week. Three weeks ago it wouldn't start. Old battery was way down, so I tried charging it and it wouldn't build up. Put on new battery and it started right up and I thought the problem was solved. Week later it started up just fine and I went to the bank. Tried to start it back up as it rolled backward. Something I seldom do. Motor turned over fine;but wouldn't start. Stopped the vehicle completely and tried again and nothing. Got out,raised the hood and put a screwdriver between the battery post and to the starter post on the starter relay. Just heard a buzzing sound. (I'm real hard of hearing;but wear a hearing aid.) So couldn't tell where the buzzing sound was coming from? Figure it was the starter;but can the starter relay make a buzzing sound too when you jump across the battery post side to the starter post? Then got back in the truck and tried it again and the truck started right up. So wondering now if the started relay could be good and the starter itself just bad enough to not work part of the time? Before this I had always thought that when the starter went bad,it went bad completely. Am I wrong on that?

Reply to
Ronny TX

Your screwdriver sparking probably chattered the motor, its starter switch, and relay contacts (through its holding coil) enough that it made better contact (for a short time).

Better starter drives have came out since then, if it has never been rebuilt. So, I would say rebuild the starter, later replace the relay if needed. There are heavier relays with a blue case from Standardized/Echlin/NAPA. Blue goes well with a 66+ blue engine. :)

Reply to
clemslay

Ronny: Gotta have the colors match! :-) LoL

Didn't have time to get the starter rebuilt. Wouldn't start this morning when I needed to go shopping. Tried jumping across the starter relay again and didn't get much out of that. Turned the motor a bit by hand a few times with the fan blade and things finally kicked off. Got some needed things done where I didn't have to kill the motor. Got home with the new starter,got all changed out in 40 minutes and it started right up. :-) Let it run a bit and started it up 2 or 3 times in a row. No problem,fast turn over and fast start.

The old starter would still turn over when I hoooked the battery cables to it;but I noticed that the starter drive was loose compared to the new starter. Now I'm wondering. The new starter cost about $52 and I can get $15 back if I take it back to the parts house. So $37 for it if I go that way. Or I can get the old one rebuilt. But I have no idea which is the better way to go on that?

Reply to
Ronny TX

[...]

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 11:59:24 -0800, Ronny TX rearranged some electrons to form:

Take the old one back and get your core charge back.

Reply to
David M

The "new" one is not new, but rebuilt. Those tend to not be very good, not fully rebuilt, just the one thing fixed that kept it from working. Have your old one rebuilt. (turn commutator, 4 new brushes. new springs, growl, lube, new drive gear and clutch) And check the "Ford" contact. New bushings too. Repainting is nice to slow rust, seal cover band first. (find a good rebuilder)

Reply to
clemslay