Strange Electrical problems

I have a 94 F-150 that is experiencing some strange problems. Half of my electrical components are working and half are not. What is even stranger is that some components on the same fuse are working and other are not.

If we can rule out the fuse panel, what could be causing the problems?

For example, power windows function, power mirrors do not. All gauges EXCEPT speedometer and odometer are working. Heater fan and radio works but no internal lights whatsover. Headlights and brake lights work but no running lights. And I cannot put it in 4x4 mode because that electrical button is not working.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
tgrahl

First thing I would check for is a bad ground to those circuits.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Check the fuse links at the starter solenoid

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Is this an auto. trans. truck with the pushbutton overdrive override in the end of the shift lever?

Reply to
samstone

Yes, push button overdrive and push button 4x4.

C4 - EOD trans, which is also being affected by the lack of electrical. The trans shifts hard and only when it "wants to". The signal is apparently not going to the trans. At first I suspected the PSOM but I don't think that would affect the other electrical components that are not working.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
tgrahl

I used my 93 full sized bronco one day to help a friend locate his new summer trailer in a family campsite. After the manditory thanks for the help beer ( s) while returning to my site in camp, I noticed the same type of electrical problems you described on your first post. I thought - no good deed goes unpunished - but as it turned out I found a blown open fuse in the dash fusebox. So no biggie. Word got out how smoothly my bronco worked for moving trailers that I soon was meeting all the new people in camp and this same fuse popped almost everytime. After the fuse was replaced i never had a problem till the next trailer I moved. I looked for pinched wire harnesses or anything I could thought might be the cause of the fuse opening and I was sure it was related to the trailer weigh on the hitch. ( nothing found ) I did go to the junker yard and stocked up on the 10 amp. fuse though. This fuse popped on me at least ten times all while moving trailers. Then one day, just as I parked and tilted the steering wheel up but before turning the key off I noticed the magic stuff that makes all electronic / electrical stuff work ( smoke ) whisping out of the steering column. Talk about your fast exit from the truck ( i did twist the key off as I left ). Not being shy about fixing things I found the cause of the smoke to be burning insolation on one of the wires that lead to/from that little overdrive override button. I did a smoke test while working on it and guess what , yup , that same fuse blew. :-) I'm good at repairing things with wires and did a dandy job putting a fix on that wire. The whole shifter removes rather easily and I had the right tools and things on hand to make the repair and got the Bronco back on the road at no cost - just my time. A few days later I got a replacement shifter / wires from the junker yard but I have not replaced it. ( couple years ago ) To this day that fuse hasn't popped again. The cause of it blowning open was NOT the weight of the trailer on the hitch but of that little rubbed bare wire grounding out as I titled the steering wheel up and down while I got in / out of the truck while checking the trailers position / overall situation. The fuse was number 17 ( 10 amp ) in my fuse box , might be the same in yours. I'm not saying this is your trucks problem but the crazy electrical statis sounds the same. My Bronco does NOT have the air bag in the wheel , I mention this as there are added concerns when working near these and yours might have the air bag , i guess.

Reply to
samstone

there is no such thing as a "C4 - EOD" trans.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT