Dana35C RIP

It's taken me nine years but my Dana 35C is finally going belly-up. Went to the Badlands in July and ever since it started acting up. When I opened it up I found the cross-shaft pinion gears had lost some teeth. So an upgrade axle is in the works but I wanted to see if I could get the old one working for my trip to Drummond Island on Saturday.

I am having some difficulty, however...when I removed the cross-shaft retaining bolt, the bolt broke and half of it stayed in the carrier. Ugh. So I had to use a right-angle drill to get the rest of it out and I'll pobably have to re-thread the hole. But now the crosspin still won't come out. How hard should it be get it out? I've been tapping with a steel drift and 2-lb sledge and it won't budge more than 1/8 inch in either direction.

I'm wondering if the shaft bent when the gear teeth let go?

I think it's parked until I get that new axle.

TIA

Matt

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

It sounds as if the carrier is junk at this point. The hole for the cross pin is probably wallowed out, a result of that bent cross pin that you suspect. I am guessing either that you didn't get all the bolt out, or a piece of the cross pin is getting caught in the bolt hole. Unless you have been getting ring and pinion or bearing noise a new carrier might be the way to go. A new open diff carrier for that axle can't be too expensive.

But now your problem is to get the old cross pin out. Have you tried an air chisel with a flat-ended hammer type tool? Maybe if you're willing to junk the carrier already drill that bolt hole oversize.

Earle

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Earle Horton

I'm certain all of the retaining bolt is out. I can see down into the hole and I even drilled into the cross pin itself.

The carrier might have distorted too. I think the only way that crosspin is coming out is with a cutting wheel to the carrier. But I would rather not replace it with another stock carrier, so an upgrade is in the works....

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

You could put a Trak-Loc in it. That's the OEM limited slip, guaranteed to slip and thus not take out your housing. I would question the wisdom of putting anything heavier like a locker in a 35C, and I would have reservations about limited slip in snow, but that's the all around best upgrade available imho short of going to a beafier axle model. It saves you the annoyance of having to shell out cash for a stock carrier too.

If you do replace the carrier "temporarily" until you get an axle upgrade, you only have two adjustments to worry about. These are carrier bearing preload and ring gear lash. That's not as bad as replacing the ring and pinion, plus all bearings. Of course we don't really know what shape the pinion and its bearings are in now. It all depends on how long you can do without the vehicle. Carrier replacement should be the work of an afternoon, especially if you can buy/rent/borrow a case spreader and have a good assortment of shims. Good luck.

Earle

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Earle Horton

I wasn't specific enough, the carrier is a factory Trac Loc. It's not a daily driver so it's not critical that I get it fixed right away, this weekend we'll be taking the Kawasaki Mule to Drummond. I spoke to a couple guys today and they seem to concur the cross pin is bent or the carrier is distorted after the cross pin gears lost their teeth.

When I said "upgrade" I was already thinking "beefier axle..." :-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Well thanks, this is good to know. What I had heard, was that the Trac Loc clutches would let go before breaking stuff. I guess you can't count on that.

Earle

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Earle Horton

A D44 from a Cherokee is a good upgrade. I've seen too many Ford 8.8s with problems: spun tubes, tubes separating from the center housing, plus it is a c-clip axle.

Reply to
nrs

Thanks, I found the answer...a set of built axles, 2004 TJL Dana 44/30 with

4.88's. chromoly shafts, and ARB's with low miles on eBay, all for less than a new Currie 9".

A D44 from a Cherokee is a good upgrade. I've seen too many Ford 8.8s with problems: spun tubes, tubes separating from the center housing, plus it is a c-clip axle.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Nice find. The TJ D44 seems to hold up pretty well and built is even better!

Reply to
nrs