Bell crank bearing remover tool?

I'm in the process of disassembling the steering linkage on my 56 President Classic. I have the bell crank off and the shaft out of the bracket. Now I need to get the bearings out so I can replace them. The shop manual says to use a "Bearing Remover and Replacer Set J-4147-A". Does anyone know where I can get a tool like or similar to this so I can get the bearings out?

Thanks, Tim

Reply to
Tim Ulrich

I've just hammered them out with a brass drift. The second one can be removed with a deep well socket.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Just use a LARGE flat screwdriver, or punch- be sure it is NOT sharp. I HIGHLY recommend the process I use- if there is any wear to your pin at all. You "can" still get the replacement pins if you wish to go with new- but I'd still install the 3rd bearing.

I have a bearing driver set (Harbor freight $9.99) but you can use a salvaged bearing housing just as effectively

Ray

Tim Ulrich wrote:

Reply to
Studeman

Tim, Take a thick flat washer of the approximately same outer diameter as the bearing and using a bench grinder grind two opposite outer surfaces flat such that the flat sides of the washer will allow it to pass through the bearing when inserted vertically. Once the washer is in the housing turn it horizontally and use a socket extension and arbor press to press the bearing out. Use the same tool to press out the other bearing. Use the arbor press to push the new bearings in. If you don't have an arbor press you can use a bottle jack so long as you improvise something to hold all the parts(kind of a PITA). You can buy a press relatively cheap from several sources such as Harbor Freight Tools and once you have one you find many other uses for it, such as replacment of king pin bushings, etc. It is well worth the investment.

Reply to
Dan Peterson

Dan,

That sounds just like the tool described in the shop manual.

I had one guy tell me that I might be able to get away with just cleaning out the bearings, inspect them for wear and repack them. Any opinions on that?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Ulrich

Reply to
John Poulos

Point taken John. Bearings are cheap now while I have the bracket off the car.

Thanks.

Reply to
Tim Ulrich

I put a total of four bearings in the '55 Prez sedan. There is just 'nuff room so that the grease hole is not blocked. Should last well into the next century...

JT

Tim Ulrich wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire