97 Ranger Airbag Problem

I have a '97 Ranger (2.3L / 2WD) and the airbag light comes on intermittently. I recently replaced the turn signal/wiper switch module because the left turn signal would only work intermittently, and I hoped that I might just find a loose wire causing the air bag issue when I hade the covers off, but everything looks good around the steering column. My truck has only one airbag -- there is no airbag on the passenger side.

Does anyone have any idea what might cause the airbag light to come on occasionally?

Reply to
Cal

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 07:05:27 +0000, Cal rearranged some electrons to form:

The clockspring in the steering column is probably bad. Or a loose wire elsewhere inside the column. Be *very* careful if you choose to take the airbag unit apart yourself.... disconnect the battery for a while (manual says 30 min. I believe) before you attempt to work around the airbag.

Reply to
David M

Thank you for your response David. Perhaps I should leave this one to a professional to fix.

Reply to
Cal

I have an 01 w/ the same problem. I took a meter to the fuses under the hood and found an open. The problem has been back since and a fuse has always been the culprit. I am not sure if this is your problem but you may save yourself some cash. As far as what is blowing the fuses, well that is anyone's guess . . .

Good Luck

Cal wrote:

Reply to
nicholas.deselle

Thanks for the input Nicholas. I doubt that it is the fuse in this case however, because of the intermittent nature of the problem.

A friend of mine who works at a police garage said that he has changed out the clock spring on Ford Crow Vic's before, and that so long as the battery is disconnected for at least half an hour (David's advice also - see below) it is not a difficult job. He told me that it is doubtful that it would be any more difficult changing the clock spring in a Ford Ranger truck, so I might give it a try next weekend.

Cal.

Reply to
Cal