What would cause choppy acceleration

The check engine light came on, not only that but I feel when I accelerate through the lower gears it doesn't accelerate smoothly but rather choppy. I have a 99 Ford Ranger Super Cab 4x4 with the off road package. If somebody could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Reply to
MIKE POWELL

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 07:20:36 +0000, MIKE POWELL rearranged some electrons to form:

take it to Autozone, they can scan it and will tell you what trouble codes have been set

Reply to
David M

Take it and have the codes read and see exactly what the problem is. The morons at Autozone and the like will read them for free (in an effort to sell you parts). Anything else is just wild assed guessing

Reply to
bomar

Not all of us that work/worked at AutoZone are morons. Some of us actually knew what we were talking about and tried to help customers out. Of course the company did not like that so I had to find another job. Go figure!

Reply to
Edward Stammer

No personal offense intended, but you know exactly what I mean. On rare occasion there is someone in one of those stores that has some knowledge, but the stores seem to pride themselves on hiring pimply faced 20 year olds that are experts in selling fart can mufflers, pine scented auto air freshners, illuminated windshield wiper nozzles, and Japanese window stickers. When they accidentally hire someone that has some auto knowledge I notice they don't last long.

Reply to
bomar

Sounds like a throttle position sensor. Maybe even a bad o2 sensor...

Reply to
Neoacumen