When brake pedal is pressed instument panel lights come on Help!

On my 1978 Ford F250 the instrument panel lights come on when the brake is pressed, I have replaced the main front to rear wiring harness under the truck, and this did not fix the problem, also I unplugged the front harness that goes to the front parking/turn signal lights and the problem still exists. I was wondering is anyone has heard of the instumnet panel having a short that could cause this problem? It seems that the brake lights/turn signal circuit is shorted with the running light circuit somewhere.

Reply to
dirtbikeguy15

Look for a trailer light connector and inspect is wiring and terminals, maybe corrosion or a short OR there could be corrosion in the tail light bulb sockets or a short. Or improperly hooked up radio/player maybe,

Reply to
samstone

Bad ground?

Reply to
C. E. White

Replace both your taillamp bulbs and report back.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Have you checked for any wires shorting on the brake pedal linkage?

Reply to
Jasper

Could also be a taillight assembly shorting the brake lights to parking lights. Have a helper press the brake pedal, do the parking lights come on as well? If that is the case I would unplug both taillights and try again. If that fixes it, you know where to start looking for an issue now.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel