Where's the fuse?

2000 Ford 7.3 Diesel 3/4 CrewCab

All at once, I lost the speedometer under about 45 mph, cruise control under 45 mph, the ABS light came on, and the overdrive light in the shift lever flashes.

I checked all the fuses I can find, they appear okay.

What gives?

Thanks!

Russ

Reply to
Russ

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 20:12:20 -0700, Russ rearranged some electrons to form:

It sounds as if your speed sensor is gone. However, the flashing O/D light indicates that a code has been set. Have someone read it out and it will probably indicate the source of your trouble.

Reply to
David M

The flashing O/D light means that the transmission is unhappy.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff Strickland expressed precisely :

You really must give your transmission some lovin' from time to time.

Reply to
Dan S.

AFAIK the speed sensor is in the rear differential, and the cruise, speedo and ABS all use that sensor. Perhaps that's what set the code to get the O/D to flash, a transmission problem wouldn't cause those symptoms.

Until you get the code read, in the meantime you might try looking at the rear diff for a loose wire.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Will do! The two codes are P0603, internal control module keep alive memory error and P0500, a speed sensor malfunction.

I will check for the loose wire connections at the rear diff.

Reply to
Russ

Just checked for loose wires, found the sensor on the diff, but saw no physical problems like loose wire, broken wire, etc.

Ideas?

Reply to
Russ

Fix the Speed Sensor Malfunction, then see if the other error comes up again.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Sensor.

Wires are always a possibility, but the sensor that throws the code is the culprit more often than not.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I presume that by fix it, you mean replace it. Will do so tomorrow, and see what happens. Thanks for the guidance!

Russell

Reply to
Russ

I concur, especially if your speedo does read above 45mph as you posted.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Well, "fix," could mean repair or it could mean replace. I can't determine which course of action is needed from here.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Replaced the module, it fixed the problems of the speedo, brake light, and cruise, as well as the O/D flashing. Interestingly, the P0500 error persists, but I see no outward showing of a problem. Will clear the DTC's again, and see what happens.

Thanks for the clues! Russell

Reply to
Russ