Wierd problem? hmmmm..

I have a 99 F250 with the 5.4 w/Automatic...

Sometimes, when I start it when the engine is cold, it'll fire up, idle just for a second or two and then want to die. If I stay on the gas as soon as it starts, I can keep it running. All of a sudden, as I'm keeping it running, it seems like something kicks in and the idles way up like it should when running normal. I can then let off the gas and it will idle fine. I usually have to keep on the gas until it reaches normal operating temp and sometimes a bit longer. No engine lights come on or anything, it just does that. It wont' do it all the time, just sometimes.

It "seems" that when its really humid outside, like right after a rain, or in this miserable heat and humidity right now, it does it more often. Almost never when its dry outside, it "seems" anyway. It's done this since it was new, and I've had it to the dealership about this trouble, but they have no idea, since its warmed up when I get there and even if it sat overnight, there's no guarantee it would do it the next morning either.

Any ideas guys and gals?

TIA,

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Is there an idle air control (IAC) motor on that model? If so, it'll do it when it gets dirty. It can be cleaned with throttle body cleaner. (Use sensor safe cleaner or you may get a check engine light)

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Well, I"ll do some research and see if that could possibly be it. How expensive of a part would that be, any idea? Maybe I"ll have the dealership swap that next time I"m in for an oil change... It's a place to start!

Thanx for the reply!

Doug

Reply to
Doug

The IAC is something you can clean, and it'll work as good as new. It's not something that is normally replaced, because they don't really wear out, just accumulate carbon deposits on the seating surface of the valve. Take it off, clean it up, and they usually straighten up nicely.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader