1985 Buick Regal

I have a 1985 Regal, it's a 6-cylinder, automatic. My check water temp light came on so after checking my coolant, water pump and finding nothing wrong I changed the tempature sensor and nothing changed. I replaced the sensor with a gauge. It screws right in to my block. Now my service engine light comes on after I drive it a while. If I shut off my car and restart it the light stays off for a while again. My temp gauge reads 170 degrees to 190. Do I need to hook the sensor up for any other part of the engine to function correctly or is the light coming on because its unplugged from the sensor?

Reply to
gailjdno7

Geoff Welsh